The following are alphabetical lists of miscellaneous People associated with the early Adelaide Hills Region which contain information compiled by:  [RB] - Reg Butler (Hahndorf);  [JKS] - JK Stokes (ex Mt Barker); Max Nitschke and other sources.  Generally, snippets of information regarding the respective person/s are provided, however, links to pages containing more extensive information are given where available.  Please add relevant additional information/corrections/comments as desired.

Names:   [ A to C ]   [ D to F ]   [ G to I ]   [ J to L ]  [ M to O ]   [ P to R ]   [ S to U   [ V to Z ]

List of Names  'D' to 'F'

Go To Names Beginning With:     [ D ]   [ E ]   [ F ]

Names - 'D'

DAHL, Eduard

[RB] - married Anna Auguste Ernestine nee MADER

Children: Richard Walter b 20/9/1895 Hahndorf,

Beatrice Valinda (5/8/1898-22/3/1940) Born Hahndorf SA. Died Hahndorf SA.

m 5/1/1924 Rev’d FW Basedow residence North Unley,

William Kerr (24/4/1899-20/10/1928) Born Adelaide SA. Died Adelaide SA (of North Adelaide) Parents – William Kerr & Alice nee CHOULES

Family: Joan (31/1/1924-//) Born Adelaide SA., William Edward (16/3/1925-//) Born Medindie SA.

DAINTY, William Samuel

[RB]  - Storekeeper Mt Barker 1900s.  Had Dainty’s tea rooms on the corner of Gawler and McLaren St.

DANIEL, Benjamin

[RB]  - Blacksmith Mt Barker.  Speculated in Gawler St land, the site of the present Institute.

Did a lot to put out the fire which burnt out George Crutchett’s shop on Wednesday 26/11/1856.

DANIEL, Dick [RB]  - Owned the site of Millie’s Bakery.  Married Millie Watts late in life.  She was his housekeeper after his mother died.  Millie’s Bakery named after Millie Watts.
DANIEL, Richard Sorrell (?-22/8/1927)

[RB]  - Blacksmith Mt Barker 18/8/1875.  Son of Benjamin Daniel blacksmith Mt Barker.  Married Susannah Hamlyn 9/10/1877 Crystal Brook. She died 18/7/1947

DANIEL, William

[RB]  - Blacksmith Mt Barker 1870s.  What relation is he to RS Daniel, who bought his blacksmith site in 1875?

DANIELS, Richard "Dickie"

[JKS]  -  Son of Benjamiin, educated by Victor Dumas at Mt Barker.  Blacksmith - taking on the family business from his father - had a blacksmith shop where the present day Courier office stands

DARBY Family

[RB]  -  Glen Ellen cellar called the dairy – very wet in winter.

Masses of daffodils planted in the orchard and on the hillsides.

The cannery employed up to 100 casual staff at the height of the fruit season.  Alec Boyer used to wear a leather apron and keep watch over the staff – very strict and allowed no talking, with permission to go to the toilet.  He used to tell his wife about misdemeanours and she would come to sort things out.  His maiden sisters, Miss Christobel and Miss Dorothea lived in North Adelaide.  Miss Christobel signed all the cheques in the cheque book at once and got people to fill out their names and the amount they were owed.

Lorna Gommers the only employee who went with the firm to Norwood - she boarded with her married sister Joyce Titley at Evanston and came home at the weekend.

Mrs Boyer had a life interest in Glen Ellen – Mr Foale her solicitor managed to have her father’s will overturned so that the property could be sold and the proceeds distributed according to the original instructions.

Property originally 30 acres – Tom & Donna Johnstons kept 20 acres.

(Max's Hahndorf)

DAVENPORT, George & Francis

[JKS]  -  Brothers, arrived SA 1839 took up land at Mt Barker and also at Macclesfield.  Two other brothers Robert & Samuel (later Sir Samuel) arrived later and lived in the Wistow/Bugle Ranges area.

DAVIES, George (1817 -15/7/1892)

[RB]  -  To SA 1842 Guiana.  London-born G Davies practised as an accountant in Adelaide.  During August 1850, he bought 90-acre Section 1134, Hundred of Onkaparinga, with gardener William Bruce at Cox Creek.  Besides their plant nursery, the pair operated a general store somewhere just by the Deanery Hotel to take the place of Caleb Crompton’s business further up Old Mt Barker Road, which had gone bankrupt in February of that same year.  The shop operated Sub-divided the land in 1854.  During 1858, George took his seat on the first Crafers District Council to represent Cox Creek and environs.  Eventually, Davies moved in the 1860s to Pt Augusta, where he was a representative for the Yudanamutana Company and later a general agent in Commercial Road.  Likely to be a relative of successful society doctor, Charles Davies, at Beaumont.

DAVIES, Maurice (1835-1913)

[RB]  -  London-born Maurice Davies emigrated with his parents to a Tasmanian farm when he was four years old.  Later, Davies crossed to Victoria to take part in the 1850s gold rush, and then moved to SA, where he married Sarah Salom, a sister of the Hon Maurice Salom (auctioneer and MP).  From a Grenfell St mercantile business, Maurice Davies began to undertake engineering projects with John Wishart, and later invited CS Baillie to join the firm.  The partners undertook a long list of construction, both in SA and interstate.  In 1884, soon after the completion of the Mt Lofty-Nairne railway contract, M Davies shifted to Perth, to take charge of huge pastoral and timber interests he had been building up there since the late 1870s.

DAVISON, Captain Francis

[JKS]  -  Settled at Blakiston in 1840, married to Elizabeth Hawdon, (sister to Joseph Hawdon of "Overlander" fame), arrived SA aboard "Cleveland" on 18 December 1839.  Early Magistrate in Mt Barker.  His daughter Elizabeth married the Reverend John Gower, incumbent of St James's church Blakiston 1874-1899

DAW, Alfred Compton

[RB]  - Butcher Mt Barker (?-19/12/1924).  Many allotments in Albert & Knott Sts.


[JKS]  -  Moved to Mt Barker in 1874 from St Mary's area, member of founding Institute committee, stock breeder and judge of stock, also Justice of the Peace

DEAN, Benjamin ( )

[RB]  -  A farmer from Saighton, Cheshire, England.  To SA 1840 Lysander.  He and his wife, Elizabeth, opened the Rural Deanery (built on Crown land) on 8 April 1841 at Cox Creek.  Dean gave up the licence on 29 March 1848 to his wife, Elizabeth, but had died before 1 August 1849, when his 57 year-old relict, Elizabeth, also died.

Daughter Elizabeth Dean married Charles Hentig, while her sister Anne Dean married John Peter, in 1844 and 1845 respectively.  Both the Benjamin Dean’s sons-in-law had close links with nearby Hahndorf’s German settlers.  Hentig, the son of Wilhelm Hentig, the Prussian Trade Consul in Hull, Yorks, England, farmed his absentee father’s section immediately to the west of Hahndorf, but left the colony soon after his marriage.  John Peter farmed Oatlands, a watershed property between Hahndorf and Balhannah.  In 1853, he sold the property to Friedrich Paech Senr, who established his eldest son there, and the estate henceforth became the well-known Ravenswood.  The Peters went innkeeping at Mt Torrens.

When Elizabeth Dean died, her second son, John, took over the Deanery licence.  He continued until mid-1850, when he sold the business to retired squatter James Addison.  Dean next farmed in the Onkaparinga Valley and became the first poundkeeper for the new township of Woodside.  Gregarious and fond of sport, John owned a racehorse named Billy-go-by-’em.  In St James’s Blakiston during 1852, he married Sophie Anderson, daughter of William Anderson, landlord of the Woodside Inn.  Briefly, in 1853, John ran his father-in-law’s business.  Evidence suggests that the John Deans then decided to farm near Crafers, before taking on the licence of the Crafers Hotel between 1857-1859.

DEANE, Charles

[RB]  -  A graduate in law and medicine at Edinburgh University, Scotland.  To SA 1875 Orient.  Settled at Nairne; then in New Zealand during 1878-1880.  Back in SA, C Deane practised in Mt Barker.  Extremely community-minded, Charles belonged to the Mt Barker Agricultural Society, Institute, Tennis Club and Prince of Wales Lodge, as well as being a pillar of the Anglican Church.  Much public attention followed his unsuccessful attempt to become the Member for Onkaparinga in the 1880 parliamentary elections.  Possessing a tremendous sense of humour, CM Deane was in great demand as an after-dinner speaker.  Deane was also fearless in speaking out against injustice.  Down-to-earth, the doctor maintained a fine garden, and fossicked at the Echunga gold diggings.  No wonder that Charles got on well at Bridgewater, where he hired a hotel room to consult, when navvies lived in the district in large numbers while the Mt Lofty-Nairne railway line was under construction during 1880-1884.  Amid much public sorrow, Dr Deane and his family left for Silverton NSW during early 1886, just as the Broken Hill Mines were becoming established.


[RB]  -  Reuben Deimel worked for Gus Filsell at the Balhannah saw mill.  Offcut timber made into boxes and half bushel packing cases.  Gus Filsell’s son Len stoked the boiler and sharpened the saws.  Len later worked for Reg Hirte at Butler Bros sawmill at Hahndorf.

(Max's Hahndorf)


[RB]  -  Archibald Dickson (//c1884-26/9/1970) Died Pt Noarlunga SA. & Eveline Florence Jubilee nee WELLS (//c1887-7/11/1970) Died Unley SA (of Pt Noarlunga).  Manager of the National Clothing Factory at Ambleside.

Archibald Dickson b 22/2/1919 Ambleside

Ronald Archibald Dickson b 15/8/1921 Ambleside

(Max's Hahndorf)

DISHER, Alexander [RB]  - Farmer Liberton Hill Farm, Nairne.  Died Jan 1867, after an illness of only a week.  In Nairne for 25 years.  Widow and six children.

[JKS]  -  Shop keeper, wheat farmer - grew first wheat in SA with John Hillman at Nairne.  He was also a wine grower, having some of the earliest vines growing along the Nairne - Woodside Road.

DIXON, Hartley

[RB]  - Doctor ? Mt Barker 1870s.  A foundation member of the Mt Barker Baptist Church in 1873 and elected one of the 1st three deacons.  Had an interest in the Mannahill gold battery in early 1887.

DOWNER, Alexander (1910-1981)

[RB]  -  The only child of Sir John Downer and his second wife, Una Russell the artist, young Alick Downer received an excellent education in Australia and Britain.  After practising as an Inner Temple barrister in London for a period, he returned to his native SA and bought Arbury Park in 1932, from the estate of the late Tullie Wollaston.  Still an eligible bachelor, Alick built a pseudo-Georgian mansion in the style of the many Georgian homes which had inspired him in England.  Following service in the AIF during World War II (including several years in the notorious Changi prison), Alick Downer married Mary, the only daughter of Sir James and Lady Gosse, of Wairoa, near Aldgate.  Following a successful federal political career in Canberra, Alick served with distinction as Australian High Commissioner to the UK.  The Downers sold Arbury Park in 1964, because, after fourteen years of negotiation, the SA government decided to put the new S-E Freeway right through the garden near the house.  In retirement, Sir Alick returned to SA, where he lived near Williamstown until his death.

DUEBALL family

[RB]  -  Bill Dueball was a workman at Ted Mattner’s property all his working life.  He used to ride a bike to Ravenswood and then walk to the Mattner farm on the Junction Road.  A bachelor, Bill Dueball carried too much weight and dropped dead on the way home after seeing Dr Lawson.

(Max's Hahndorf)

DUMAS, Charles Morris Russell (?-8/2/1935)

[RB]  - Newspaper proprietor Mt Barker.  Executors Victor Charles Max Dumas journalist Mt Barker, Frederick Lloyd Dumas newspaper editor Kensington Gardens, & Executor Trustee and Agency Company of SA of Grenfell St, Adelaide, acting for Russell John Dumas, the other executor.  Trustee, Mt Barker Institute.


[JKS]  -  Charles Morris - son of Victor, started the Mt Barker Courier newspaper in October 1880, member of parliament in 1898; married to Amelie Paltridge - had three sons and two daughters, son John Russell Dumas became an engineer in WA, another son was later Sir Frederick Lloyd Dumas of Adelaide.

DUMAS, Victor Charles Max

[RB]  - Journalist Mt Barker


[JKS]  -  Victor - school teacher, Huguenot and descendant of French novelist Alexandre Dumas, migrated to South Australia in the mid 1840's.

DUNN Family

[RB]  -  Graham & Marie Dunn nee Kuhn came from Sedan to look after the Reimann property in Windsor Ave which Gus Nitschke bought to settle upon his son Ron when he was ready to take over.  This family stayed on the farm until Ron married and went to live there himself.  Their sons, Douglas and Aubrey, attended the Hahndorf Public School.

(Max's Hahndorf)

DUNN, John (13/02/1802-13/10/1894)

[RB]  -  Foundation trustee, Mt Barker Institute.

[RB]  -  A native of Bideford, Devon, England, J Dunn arrived SA 1840 Lysander, with his wife and family.  Eventually, his parents and most of his brothers and sisters also emigrated to live in the Mt Barker District.  Amongst John Dunn’s manifold business interests was the Bridgewater Mill.  For some years in the 1850s, he leased the failed Lion Mill on the Mt Barker Road between Bridgewater and Aldgate.  Following a false opening during 1860, Dunn’s own water-powered flour mill began making flour in 1861.  Much less well-known is the fact that teetotal John Dunn also owned the nearby Bridgewater Hotel from 1864, bought out of the estate of bankrupt John Curruthers.


[JKS]  - Refer to John DUNN

[JKS]  -  John and family, flour miller, built a slab hut in Cameron Street 1845, built first flour mill in the town of Mt Barker, later built "The Laurels".  Elder of the Methodist Church, credited with donating money to build the church which still stands today.  The family came from Bondleigh and Bedeford, Devon, England, arriving in 1840 on the "Lysander".  John Dunn also built mills in Bridgewater, Port Adelaide, Port Pirie, Port Augusta, Wilmington, Quorn, Wolsely, Hawker and Port Broughton.  His mill business was the largest in the Southern Hemisphere at its peak.

DUTTON, Charlotte da Silva (1813-11/5/1885)

[RB]  - The eldest daughter of a well loved and practical colonel, Charles Cameron, who served with his regiment in the Peninsular Wars. Afterwards in charge of troops in Van Diemen’s Land 1821-1825.  He died unexpectedly from cholera in 1827, while on a mission to Calcutta, India.  He intended to settle on a 2,000 acre estate on the Hunter River, near Muswellbrook NSW.  Her mother was Cameron’s second wife, Ludovina Rosa de Silva, a Portuguese nobleman’s daughter, whom he married during his Peninsular Wars service.  Her sister, Ludovica, married GS Kingston, one of SAs most prominent early colonists.

Her grandson, Henry Percival Moore, Manager of the SA Company, was her executor.  Her brother, Ewen Wallace Cameron esquire Sydney, had bought her son’s land out of his estate, which was being sold to satisfy the creditors.  He sold them to her for what he had paid her - £200.  He received Merton, his father’s intended property on the Hunter River.

DUTTON, William Hampden (1805-21/11/1849)

[RB]  - Merchant Melbourne

[RB]  -  Born in Hanover, where his father held a diplomatic post, WH Dutton emigrated to Sydney and then Adelaide.  He brought some stock overland and more by sea.  In January 1839, W Dutton took out the colony’s first Special Survey with two partners.  Too many business interests in Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney to exercise efficient supervision led to WH Dutton’s bankruptcy in 1841.  Eventually, William’s only surviving son, Henry, inherited Anlaby Station near Kapunda, established by William’s bachelor brother, Frederick.  WH Dutton died in Melbourne, after which his widow, Charlotte, and her family returned to live in North Adelaide.  Dutton’s mother-in-law had married his business partner John Finnis as her second husband.


[JKS]  -  William Hampden Dutton and his wife who was previously Charlotte Cameron, arrived in SA on 26th December 1838 from Sydney aboard the ship "Parland".  Travelling with him were three children aged 6,7 & 9.  He had been a Justice of the Peace in Sydney for a time prior to coming to South Australia.  Both Hampden Road and Dutton Place in Mt Barker are named after him.  Mr Dutton was the son of Frederick Hugh Hampden Dutton, the British Vice-Consul and agent for packets in Cuxhaven, Germany.  He was involved with John Barton Hack*, Captain John Finniss and Duncan MacFarlane in having the first 4000 acre survey completed in the colony and also in bringing sheep overland.  He died in Melbourne in November 1849.

[AMF]  -  * John Barton Hack was not involved with Dutton, Finnis and Macfarlane in the First Special Survey.

DUTTON, William Broughton (?-27/6/1863)

[RB]  - 21/11/1849 WH Dutton merchant Melbourne died intestate.  His eldest surviving son, William Broughton Dutton, inherited at law.

197/80 Memorial 14/6/1859 - William Broughton Dutton gentleman North Adelaide, will, leaving all his estate to his mother, Charlotte de Silva Dutton, including lots at Mt Barker.  Executors - his brother-in-law Robert Waters Moore surgeon Adelaide and John Taylor esquire Ryelands.

Names - 'E'

EASTHER, Alfred (c1819-26/5/1871?)

[RB]  -  Born Middlesex.  To SA 1850 Stag.  Wife Sarah.  A sawyer with his brother Alfred at Cox Creek from at least 1854 - they bought part of section 1135, Hundred of Onkaparinga, from William Easther.  Sold the property to Charles Barton in 1861 - this became the well-known Foxhill estate on the slopes of Mt George..  Daughter born Cox Creek 1854.  Bible Christian Methodists.   (Name of wife. Dates of death.)

EASTHER, Edward. (c1823-Died 27/12/1886)

[RB]  -  Married Mary, nee ?  (Date of death - Mary Easther).  In SA by 1847.  At Cox Creek in the 1850s.  Later had a sawmill in Gilles St. Landlord of the Belair Hotel 1882-1884.  Died at Unley, linked with brother William?  Son Edward d 28/8/1907 Wolseley.

EASTHER, William (c1814-30/6/1889)

[RB]  -  Born Middlesex, England.  To SA 1837 Katherine Stewart Forbes.  He operated as a tailor in in turn, in `Wright, Sturt and Currie Sts, Adelaide, until the mid-1840s; then lived in Mitcham and Cox Creek as a farmer, with a spell during the 1850s as a Hahndorf sawmiller on part of the site of the well-known Academy.  W Easther apparently continued sawmilling activities between Cox Creek and Grünthal during the early 1860s.  On 21/5/1860, the Crafers District Council granted him permission for ‘putting up such erections on the Crown lands of the District as he may find needful, having fully stated to him, that they cannot grant him legal authority for so doing’.  William retired to Mitcham; then to Unley Road.  He took a great interest in the Mitcham District Council and became the leading person to get the Institute built.  Something of an actor, W Easther used to play in the old Adelaide theatres during the years immediately after his arrival in the colony.  Much to public delight, he could recite long passages of lines from memory well into old age.  Not surprisingly, William kept his energy until within a few months of his death.  Wife Sarah (c1814-25/7/1885).

[RB]  -  To SA 1837 Katherine Stewart Forbes. In business in Adelaide; then lived in Mitcham and Hahndorf. Operated sawmills at Hahndorf. Retired to Mitcham; then to Unley Road. Linked with the Mitcham District Council. Leading person to get the Institute built. An actor - used to play in the old Adelaide theatres. Could recite long passages of lines from memory into old age. Kept his energy until within a few months of his death.  Wife Sarah (c1814-25/7/1885).

ELLIS, Frederick William

[RB]  - Storekeeper’s assistant Mt Barker.  6/7/1905 R Murray died.

17/11/1906 FW Ellis to FW Ellis Council Clerk and William Robert Murray storekeeper’s assistant Mt Barker

EY, Johanne Caroline Mathilde

[Mt Barker Local History Centre]  -  Mt Barker Courier Newspaper 22 February 1907

It was all in a hard days work for Mrs. Johanne Caroline Mathilde Ey and her daughters of Hahndorf having to chop, carry and cart their wood. Mrs. Ey was also the acting midwife when the nurse was out of town.

Mrs. Johanne Caroline Mathilde Ey (nee Mueller) was born in Hanover, Germany in 1847 and migrated with her family to Australia when she was three. In 1868 she married Wilhelm Ey who was popularly known as ‘Captain’ Ey, owing to his work at the Wheel Ellen Mine at Strathalbyn. ‘Captain’ Ey was the school-master and organist for 20 years at St. Michael’s Lutheran school and church.

Photograph: Call number: PH-V100-00002  -  Hahndorf: Minnie Heuzonroder, sons, Jack and Bob in the cart, Louisa Ey (with axe), Johanne Caroline Mathilde Ey (mother of Minnie and Louisa). Date unknown.

Names - 'F'


[RB]  -  JFW Faehrmann owned a sand stone quarry and crusher to the rear of the German Arms Hotel later known as the Hotel Ambleside.  Eventually, the Echunga District Council bought the outfit and used the metal for district roadworks.  Stone dislodged and broken up roughly from the quarry by blasting.

W Faehrmann used to cart stone loose in a German waggon to wherever it was needed.  Whenever the 6 horse team became stuck in boggy soil coming out of the quarry, he used to dismount and walk around talking quietly to each horse in turn, before getting back into the driver’s seat and urging the team to take the strain together before moving the wheels further along.

W Faehrmann had contracts to carry new telegraph poles to the line beyond Blumberg to Mannum.  Used to place the correct number of poles in various allocated heaps along the line, and then turn the horses and wagon around to head for home.  While he slept, the horses took their load safely home to Hahndorf.

Son Bill was a bachelor.  He had a pet cockatoo which liked to see Bill in his old home hat.  When he wore his new hat to play golf or go down the street, the bird tried to knock it off.  The Cockatoo followed Bill around the golf course and up to the cemetery.  Bill loved his garden.  Had a cosy room with a big open fire and his wireless set.  Niece Lorna Gommers used to make his bed each day.  Nickname Borley – no one knew how he got this.

Ossie Faehrmann married Amalie Grell who had given birth to stillborn twins.  She was in child to Dr Auricht, but Ossie took the son, Jeff Faehrmann, as his own.

Ossie Faehrmann had a pet magpie, as did Fred Kuchel across the main road.  When Kuchel’s magpie followed behind and pulled out all the freshly planted onion plants,  Fred became enraged and killed the bird.

Jack Faehrmann killed in WW11.

(Max's Hahndorf)

FEDER family

[RB]  -  The Feders lived in the Main Street, across from where the fire station is now. Their kitchen had a clay floor.  Mrs Feder used to sweep it with a stick broom.

(Max's Hahndorf)


[JKS]  -  squatting in Mt Barker area 1839

FERGUSON, Clare (6/5/1924-2014)

[VV#38-Obit]  -  Clare, originally from Sydney, came to live in Hahndorf with her sister and brother-in law, Cath and John Storey.  On the Committee of the Adelaide Hills Dolls Guild, Clare made wonderful dolls, was a most professional dressmaker, indeed making ball gowns and all her family’s wedding dresses.  She and her sister were heavily involved in the inception and running of the annual St Nicholas Night in Hahndorf, making the St Nicholas + Black Peters costumes approximately 25 years ago for the event, and those costumes are still used each year.  Clare was also an excellent cake maker and, together with John and Cath Storey, very often filled the village with flowers.  Indeed there is much more and we hope to have a short story of Clare’s achievements in the next edition of the Village Voice.
One of her favourite admirers called Clare “St Clare - lover of the little people” this surely says it all!
Goodbye Clare, thank you for all the wonderful things you did for Hahndorf—and of course for your family.

[VV#39]  -  A very special Lady!

Clare Ellen Ferguson (nee Smeaton) was born in Sydney in 1924.  Following school she then became a secretary in a law firm.  Clare married Norman Ferguson in 1943.  They had four children; the youngest died when two years old.  Clare was running a children’s day nursery with her sister Cath; and they remained in business for 56 years.

In 1972, Clare, along with Cath and her husband, John Storey, relocated to South Australia and opened the Storison Gallery in Main Street, Hahndorf.
Clare Ferguson was a quiet achiever, engaged in many community activities, including the Hahndorf College Memorial Week - for which she and Cath made and donated antique reproduction dolls to raise money - and the establishment of the Pioneer Women's Walk.  Clare was involved in event organisation and did the inaugural Pioneer Women’s walk from the hills to Beaumont House.  She helped to establish and support the Blumenfest and was involved in the running of the annual St Nicholas Night in Hahndorf; she and Cath made the Black Peter costumes 25 years ago which are still used each year.
In 1986, Clare was a prime mover in the Hahndorf Doll Extravaganza with Natalie Stewart and Cath and John Storey; this became a week of activities including international speakers.
Clare remains an inspiration for those who want to make a difference to their local community but sadly left us on 26 March 2014.

FERGUSON, William (1809-1892)

[RB]  -  Born in Roxburghshire, Scotland, W Ferguson emigrated to SA 1836 Buffalo, with his wife of only a few months.  On arrival, William went into various business partnerships with fellow passenger Robert Cock.  Besides building the province’s first auction room, the men also laid out the Magill Estate, where W Ferguson took charge of the farming aspects.  As well,the partners discovered Cox Creek on their 1837 journey to find a route across the Adelaide Hills to the Murray River.  Despite such initiatives, the Fergusons lost their property in the 1841 economic crash, and retired to a farm at Myrtle Bank, with some of the stock which well-wishers bought for the family at the mortgage sale.  William saw his children marry into prosperous pastoral families - Cudmores, Hawkers, Mortlocks, AB Murray, Tennants - and enjoyed a comfortable old age.


[RB]  - Hawker Mt Barker 1869-1870.  He had only been in the town for several months when he died after his cart overturned beyond the Morning Star Hotel, Wistow 6/1/1870.  Gottlieb Wirth found the body when he was travelling from Mt Barker to the Bremer.  A very temperate and industrious man, though an unskilful and fast driver.  Wife and two children.  Belonged to an Oddfellows Lodge in Adelaide.  Perhaps formerly lived Pt Adelaide?  Wife Maria?  RC?
FICKLING, [RB]  - 1/1/1861 7 year lease to Ann Fickling, Eliza Fickling, Margaret Fickling at £55 a year, payable quarterly.  JJ Bonnar also mortgaged the land.   The Ficklings attended the Presbyterian Church and helped in bazaars.   The sisters must have shifted to Mt Gambier when the public school opened in Mt Barker towards the end of the 1860s.
FIGG Family

[RB]  -  William Arthur Figg chopped up his wife and children at Mylor and then committed suicide. His body only found later after a passing bushfire burnt out the scub which hid it. He died 8/12/1934 near Mylor, aged 47. Husband of Dora Annie Figg, died 8/12/1934 near Mylor aged 28. Henry Arthur Figg, aged 6, William Figg, aged 5, Thelma Doreen Figg, aged 3, Hilda Jane Figg, aged 2

(Max's Hahndorf)

FINLAYSON, William (1813- d 17/12/1897)


[RB]  -  To SA 1837 John Renwick, from his native Glasgow, Scotland, with his new wife, Helen, nee Harvey d 20/10/1884.  Finlayson arrived with the intention of conducting a Baptist mission to the Aborigines; throughout the rest of his life, he took an intense interest in these people.  Upon landing, William found employment with the SA Company and subsequently rented Company land, with the right to buy, along Brownhill Creek at Mitcham.  Here, the Finlaysons remained for the rest of their lives.  William’s crossing of the Mt Lofty Ranges in 1837 with his two companions brought the group such praise as only cross-continental explorers usually earn.  For many years, W Finlayson remained as pastor of Zion Chapel, Adelaide, even in retirement, keeping up his duties there to within eight weeks of his death.  His large number of children married into the ranks of other well-known pioneer families

FINNIS, John (Captain)    (1802-1872)

[AMF]  -  Refer to FINNIS, Captain John.  Sometimes misspelt as FINNISS, and not to be confused with Boyle Travers FINNISS.


[JKS]  -  Captain John - master mariner, pastoralist, overlander.  Along with William Hampden Dutton and Duncan McFarlane, was one of the owners of the property upon which Hahndorf stands today.  Captain Dirk Meinertz Hahn entered into a contract with the three men which granted the Lutheran refugees who had travelled from Germany & Prussia with him,  150 acres of land rent free for one year.  In the agreement, Captain Finnis and partners were to supply the immigrants with provisions of seeds, fowls, cattle, and pigs on credit for the first year or until their first harvest.


[RB]  -  Finnis first came to South Australia in 1838 with Captain Sturt, in charge of overlanding cattle.  He established a station on the present site of Hahndorf for fattening beasts for market.  Early the next year, Finnis joined with WH Dutton and D MacFarlane in the purchase of the First Special Survey, which included the Hahndorf station.  The first Hahndorf settlers worshipped in one of Finnis’s stockman’s huts.  During the 1840s, he captained vessels trading passengers and goods between Britain and Australia and New Zealand; later, his ship took South Australian miners bound by sea to and from the Victorian gold diggings.

FIORA Family

[RB]  -  Possibly emigrated from Italy.  Not born in SA. Lived in a cottage on the site of Jeff Faehrmann’s later home.

(Max's Hahndorf)

FIX Family

[RB]  -  August Augie Fix was a bachelor.  He never married because a skylarking young man shot off his penis at a rowdy tinkettling party.  He used to go with Carl Nitschke on big shearing expeditions to the West Coast and beyond.  Took ketch from Pt Adelaide to Streaky Bay, Denial Bay etc.  August Fix wore bowyangs.  He used to cross the road from his cottage to speak to Gus Nitschke and his sons when they were working in their paddocks there.

August Fix also had land along Ambleside Road.  Local lads Ray and Pete Williams, Jim Rose and Bill Faehrmann taught themselves to swim in a dam there when they went rabbiting on the property; used to run around naked amongst the bushes to dry off afterwards.  Balhannah Road and the Red Road to Paechtown made of red ironstone.  The gravel good for shanghai pellets.

Legendary wood cutter Frank Mount of Balhannah used to cut timber on August Fix’s property – used to boast to small boys that he could fell 9’ saplings which he chopped into three lengths before they hit the ground.

Peter Sims and his wife, Kay nee Mattner, lived in Fix’s cottage in the late 20th and early 21 st century.  She was a daughter of Ken and Nita Mattner of Strathalbyn.  She worked for many years as the membership secretary of the SA Farmers Federation. Ken Mattner’s brother was Mayor of Strathalbyn.

Herbert Fix Became a labourer

Rupert Fix

(Max's Hahndorf)

FLIEGERT, Johann Gottlob

[RB] - Emigrated from Scharke, Kreis Bomst, Posen, Prussia

Johann Gottlob Fliegert b 2/10/1808 prob Posen, Prussia d 17/7/1890 Grünberg SA.

m (1) Prussia - Rosa Dorothea Jaeschke b c1811 d Feb 1840 Hahndorf SA.

m (2) 8/11/1867 - Lutheran Church Grünberg

Mrs Christian Fischer nee Johanna Luise Petras b 18/2/1820 Ostritz, Kreis Züllichau-Schwiebus, Brandenburg, Prussia d 8/1/1896 near Palmer SA.

JG Fliegert was a farmer at Hahndorf and then Grünberg.

JG Fliegert descendants

One daughter from his first marriage – no other family

Johanna Juliane Fliegert b 28/7/1837 pps Scharke, Kreis Bomst d 30/11/1911 Moculta SA

m 1/11/1860 Lutheran Church Grünberg

Johann Christian Schilling (23/9/1836-1/1/1899) Born Langmeil, Kreis Züllichau-Schwiebus, Brandenburg, Prussia. Died Moculta SA. Farmer; Moculta.


[RB]  -  Worked at Ambleside Station by the early 1940s.

(Max's Hahndorf)

FORSTER, John Junr
[RB]  - Doctor Hampton Lodge, Littlehampton 1850s.  He contributed to a signpost at Guerin’s Corner, paid for with Benjamin Gray and Thomas Biddles.  Forster was a son of the Rev’d John Forster Senr, Rector of Ryther, near Selby, Yorks, and his wife, Ann.  His wife was a daughter of John Ikin, banker, of Roe Head House, Yorks.
FOWLER, George Junr (1893- d 29/19/1973).

[RB]  -  Eldest son of James Fowler, eldest son of GS Fowler Senr.  George Senr and two brothers had established D & J Fowler, wholesale grocers on North Tce, Adelaide, and at McLaren Wharf, Pt Adelaide.  JR Fowler attended Prince Alfred College and graduated in MA with a History major with honours from Cambridge in the 1880s.  He returned to SA to help his father in the family firm.  George Fowler Junr spent his youth at Sunnyside, a great Burnside mansion created by Sir William Milne, who was a prominent colonial businessman and parliamentarian.  In 1901, the Fowlers moved to Osmond Tce, Norwood. George Fowler Junr’s mother was Esther Murray.  Her father, William Murray, was a brother of the Mt Crawford brothers of Merino sheep fame.  William operated a jam factory beside his home on the Glen Osmond Road at Glenunga and planted an extensive nursery in nearby Fullarton.  The Murray jam factory was strategically situated to receive Cox Creek fruit as it came down from the Mt Barker Road into suburban Adelaide.  George Junr moved to Bridgewater c1922 to become a gardener.  He had a chest complaint and his father thought he needed Hills air.  Lived on dividends from D & J Fowler.  Rode around in a horse and sulky.  Also drove in a taxi. Chairman of the Stirling Hospital.  Hired local men to work the property.  Very meticulous in his methods.  He and his wife very community minded.  On the school committee.  Very patriotic and on the District Council committee during WW 2.  Cows and garden, apple trees.  Milked the cows himself; got other people to do the gardening.  Today, the property is called Cooinda.

FOX, James

[RB]  -  A 24-year old English labourer, who emigrated to Van Diemen’s Land, and then moved to SA in the middle of 1839.  He had the misfortune to fall in with two runaway NSW ticket-of-leave convicts, Curran and Hughes, and acted mainly as an accomplice with them in several armed robberies around Gawler and Mt Crawford.  Fox initially escaped for a time after police captured Curran and Hughes at Crafers; constables systematically warned isolated Adelaide Hills settlers in the vicinity that Fox was still at large.  At the subsequent trial, the Judge recognised Fox’s subsiduary role in the robberies.  Transported for life to NSW, James Fox died aboard the barque Mary Ridgway while on his way under guard to Sydney in April 1840.

FOX, Patrick JP [RB]  - Publican Mt Barker Hotel 1909-1913

[JKS]  -  John, farmer near the base of the Mount - family still own the property today.  Won first prize (on display in the National Australia Bank, Gawler Street, Mt Barker) for wheat samples with 4 other farmers from the area at the Great London Exhibition in 1851.  Also won first prize for wheat at the Adelaide Agricultural and Horticultural Society exhibition in 1847.

FRANKFITT, [RB]  - John 37, gardener Jersey; Elizabeth 35, Elizabeth 11, Sophia 9 and John 4.  Free passage aboard the Caucasian in 1853.  Mrs Frankfitt became the Matron of the Mt Barker Female Immigrant Depot in 1855.
FREEMAN, George [RB]  - Publican Mt Barker Hotel 1860
FREEMAN, S [RB]  - Fishmonger Mt Barker 1869
FRY, Alfred Joel

[RB]  -  Fry b 4/10/1864 Bald Hilll near Yankalilla, son of Jonas Fry & Fanny Willson.

(Max's Hahndorf)

FYFFE, Henry Stanton (2/11/1821-12/12/1863)

[RB]  -  A native of Tottenham, Middlesex, London, HS Fyffe emigrated to SA 1849 Royal Sovereign, as a bachelor.  After setting up as a Mitcham storekeeper, he married Hannah, youngest daughter of Thomas Mugg, founder of a well-known pioneer Mitcham district family.  H Fyffe prospered in his retailing and bought part of Section 1153 H of Onkaparinga, at Cox Creek, from gardener Samuel Sisson, as a prudent investment to rent out to a gardener - it is very doubtful that he himself ever came to live on the property.  By the late 1850s, the Fyffes had removed from Mitcham to Edwardstown, where Henry died, aged 43 - still a young man.