Biographies, Annotations and Other Information
The following brief Biographies and Annotations including additional information such as relevant locations, places, buildings etc were compiled by Reg Butler (Hahndorf Historian) over many years.
The Biographies are divided into alphabetical sections which can be accessed by clicking on the appropriate links below:
Biographies - G to J
Galatea Hotel, Adelaide.
Opened in Hindley St, as the Star Inn, during 1845, it changed its name to the Galatea in 1867, to honour the ship which brought Australia’s first royal visitor, the Duke of Edinburgh, to SA. The name Galatea remained until 1907, when the inn became the Kalgoorlie. Following many more name changes, it has been known as the Rio International since 1984. The Galatea had an excellent concert room for popular community singing, where only songs of a strictly moral character were allowed.
Colonel William Light modelled Gawler on his previous Adelaide town plan, with squares and surrounding park lands. Light’s assistant, William Jacob, laid out the new town in late 1839. Gawler was the first permanent settlement to the north of Adelaide.
Gawler, George (1795-1869).
South Australia’s second Governor (1838-1841), his term of office both began and ended amid high controversy. He drew freely on South Australian Company funds to inaugurate an unparalelled era of economic expansion, which ended ingloriously when the Directors refused to honour the credits. It was during Gawler’s time that the Prussians arrived to settle Klemzig. The Governor highly valued these settlers, but the British authorities disallowed their May 1839 naturalisation oath.
Gawler, Maria (nee Cox).
Born in Derbyshire, in the English Midlands, Maria Cox was a daughter of John Cox of Friar Gate, Derby, and his wife Mary, a niece of the noted English novelist Samuel Richardson. A very religious person, Maria married George Gawler in September 1820. As elsewhere wherever George happened to be based, Maria did much evangelistic and charity work in Adelaide. She insisted on the whole Government House staff’s attendance at morning prayers and relied on formal dinners for entertaining - dancing and cards were out. Only five of Maria Gawler’s twelve children survived to adulthood.
From the junction of the North and South Para Rivers at Gawler, the united stream is known as the Gawler River until it reaches the sea at Pt Gawler. The upper reaches of the North Para River, in Flaxman Valley high in the Barossa Ranges behind Gawler, are often known as the Gawler River as well.
Gilbert Street, Adelaide.
Named after Thomas Gilbert, the colony’s first Colonial Storekeeper, who arrived by the Cygnet in 1836. It was Gilbert’s job to distribute equipment to Government Departments as required. By the time of N Hailes’s death in 1879, self-employed craftsmen and merchants in small business crowded Gilbert St houses. These people had a choice of either the Draper Memorial Wesleyan Methodist Church near King William St, or the Duke of Brunswick Hotel by West Tce, in which to spend time on Sundays. Two years earlier, in 1877, Methodists had led a successful campaign to restrict Sunday hotel trading to two hours in the middle of the day.
Giles, William (1791-1862).
Born in Great Staughton, Hunts, England, William emigrated to SA aboard the Hartley, with his second wife and large family. The Giles lived on Kangaroo Island for a time, then moved to the mainland, where Governor Hindmarsh appointed W Giles a Stipendiary Magistrate, a terror to evil doers and a praise of them that do well. In 1841, William succeeded D McLaren as a very competent Resident Manager of the SA Company. During 1851, W Giles became member for Yatala in the Legislative Council and made a vital contribution in drawing up the new constitution for SA responsible government in 1857. Sincere Congregationalist that he was, Giles campaigned strongly against state aid to any religious denominations. A large concourse of distinguished colonists attended his funeral in the Clayton Congregational Chapel, at Kensington; the press remarked that even the Governor’s carriage was there, although having arrived in the colony only several months previously, Governor Daly did not know Giles personally.
Gilles, Osmond (1788-1866).
S.A.'s first Colonial Treasurer, O Gilles had many business interests in land and commerce, and was reputed to be the wealthiest of the early settlers. Whenever Treasury funds ran out, he lent his own money to keep the Government running. Of very excitable temperament, Gilles made many enemies in official circles, yet he was extremely philanthropic. Numbers of prominent SA localities honour O Gilles.
Gilles Arcade, Adelaide.
A narrow lane between Currie and Waymouth Sts, where many important businesses operated and famous people lived. The Colonial Treasurer, Osmond Gilles, owned the land on which this development took place. Emanuel Solomon built the Royal Victoria Theatre there in 1840.
Gleeson, Edward Burton (1803-1870).
Irish-born from Co. Clare, Edward Gleeson took his family to Calcutta, where he had extensive commercial interests. In 1838, the family moved to South Australia. Here, Gleeson went into a stock partnership with JW Bull. Before the Glen Osmond Road to Mount Barker was built in 1840, people travelling to and from the Mount Barker District used Gleeson’s Spur, which came down to EB Gleeson’s property, Gleeville, now part of suburban Beaumont. Somehow surviving his 1842 bankruptcy, Edward laid out the township of Clare in the 1840s and ended his days there, revelling in the affectionate nickname, the King of Clare.
Gleeson, John (c1798-1840).
A native of Nenagh, Co Tipperary, Ireland, J Gleeson and his family emigrated to Calcutta, India, and then moved to SA aboard the Emerald in 1838. With his brother, Edward, he established a stock agency on their farm, Gleeville, at Beaumont, using progeny brought out with them from India. As well, J Gleeson took up a partnership with a number of other investors to operate a quarry on Section 267, near Waterfall Gully. John was also a liberal supporter of Trinity Church, North Tce. The Gleesons shifted to a home on East Tce, where John, usually in somewhat indifferent health, died.
Named after Lord Glenelg, recently retired Secretary of State for the Colonies, who was famed for his masterly inaction, for either good or bad, so long as colonies paid their way. During March 1839, the South Australian colonial government organised a lottery to sell the section on which Glenelg is situated. William Finke, the Chief Clerk in the Treasury, won the draw and laid out the town. A portion of the land was reserved for a government customs house, plus a signal station to announce the arrival of ships. The general area was apparently called Glenelg, long before the town was formed.
Osmond Gilles laid out Glen Osmond on Section 295, Hundred of Adelaide, c1857. The village lay at the entrance of the long gully through which the Mount Barker road began its steep ascent into the Adelaide Hills.
Goodiar, James (c1813-1887).
Born at Chichester, Sussex, England. To SA 1839 Lord Goderich. On arrival, James formed a contracting partnership with Richard Borrow, another passenger. The firm built the Adelaide Gaol, eventually for which they had to sue the Government for payment. Goodiar spent his life in SA variously as a building contractor, surveyor and timber merchant. At last, he settled at Stirling North, near Pt Augusta, where he became a JP.
The SA Company established the Village of Goodwood c1839-1840. Businessman Arthur Hardy bought two adjoining sections in 1841. Between 1842-1849, he leased this land to Borrow & Goodiar, who called the property Goodwood Farm. In 1849, Hardy began the business of sub-dividing the area under the name of Goodwood Park. Borrow & Goodiar apparently gained a contract to complete a number of buildings on the new sub-division.
Practised as an architect in Gouger St, Adelaide, during 1841-1842. Possibly James Montgomery Gordon (1810-1842), born Edinburgh, Scotland. Arrived SA 1840 Augustus.
Gouger, Robert (1802-1846).
A Lincolnshire man, Gouger worked with EG Wakefield from 1829, for the cause of systematic colonisation. Fair-minded and honest, R Gouger had to suffer in reputation and pay out of his own pocket for others’ mistakes at times. Gouger arrived in SA aboard the Africaine in 1836, with the post of Colonial Secretary. He worked hard for philanthropic societies, but deserved similar aid himself when the colony became depressed in the early 1840s. Broken in health and wealth, R Gouger returned to England, where he died soon after. Gouger Street in Adelaide is named after him.
Government House, Adelaide.
Governor Hindmarsh lived in a humble reed-thatched home on the site of the present Government House. On 12 February 1841, Old Government House caught alight and burnt to the ground. Inspector Alexander Tolmer tried unsuccessfully to rescue the Governor’s great chest containing many irreplaceable Government records. Suspicions fell upon a certain individual, but no prosecution was made through lack of direct evidence.
Gray Street, Adelaide.
Today, this street links North Tce through to Grote St, the first important north-south street after leaving West Tce. Colonist William Gray had the initial portion (from North Tce to Currie St) constructed, so that he could develop his three adjacent Town Acres. Before Colonel Light laid out Adelaide, W Gray helped the surveyor burn off the high kangaroo grass which covered the site. A thoughtful person, amongst other initiatives, Gray suggested that the Royal Adelaide Show be held in September, instead of February.
Colonel Light named Green Hill Rivulet, now First Creek. Henry Nixon, one of his surveyors, bought land at the foot of Greenhill, the spur immediately north of Gleeson’s Hill. During the mid-nineteenth century, a wooden dwelling called Greenhill House stood there. Much of modern Greenhill is the Cleland Wildlife Reserve.
Greenhill Road, Adelaide.
A major road leading directly from the Greenhill spur in the Mt Lofty Ranges foothills, through some of suburban Adelaide’s most reputable real estate, to Anzac Highway. Formerly, the
The twenty-six acres of land remaining from the survey of two adjacent eighty-acre sections, out of which 134 acres were taken to fulfil one preliminary land order (qv). On the survey maps, these remainder acreages were coloured green - hence their name.
Hack, John Barton (1805-1884).
Born in Chichester, Sussex, England, JB Hack emigrated to SA 1837 Isabella, with his wife and young family. A person of vision, Hack suffered great misfortunes with his ventures, including a cattle station on the Adelaide Plains, the Three Brothers Survey (Echunga and surrounds) in the Adelaide Hills and many choice Adelaide Town Acres. He ended his working life as accountant for the SA Railways Goods Department, after taking part in some of the most significant events in colonial SA.
The younger brother of well-known JB Hack, both of whom lost out badly in many commercial ideas for investment in SA. The Hack brothers arrived in the province from Van Diemen’s Land in 1837, bringing with them stock for a North Adelaide dairy and market garden they called Chichester Gardens, after their birthplace in Sussex, English. S Hack operated as a Hindley St merchant for a time, before returning to Britain to marry. Once more in SA (1842-1844), he farmed at Echunga with brother John, but finally went back to Europe again for good.
Captain DM Hahn negotiated with the three landowners in January 1839 to obtain the site of the present township of Hahndorf for his Zebra passengers to settle. They named their new home after the captain who had done so much for them. Between 1918-1935, Hahndorf was known as Ambleside.
Hallett, John (1804-1868).
A native of Essex, England, J Hallett emigrated SA 1836 Africaine, with his wife and several young sons. For a few years, Hallett engaged in commercial speculations with the ship’s captain, John Duff, who also remained in SA. Then, J Hallett turned with varying fortunes to the pastoral and mining industries. During 1837, he discovered Hallett Cove, while searching for a lost flock of sheep. The township of Hallett in SA's north is situated on Hallett’s sheep station, Willogoleechee. From 1857-1862, John was one of the Members for Sturt in the new House of Assembly.
Hardeman, Thomas (c1829-1905).
Probably a native of Worcestershire, England. To SA 1838 Lady Goderich. Eldest son of Richard Hardeman (who died 1868), a sawyer, splitter and market gardener in the New Tiers during the 1840s, before he took up land at Echunga. Until his 1864 marriage, Thomas helped on the family property, besides following his goldmining exploits. His wife, Mary, nee Washington, was the eldest daughter of William Washington, of Dusky Farm, Richmond. Convinced Wesleyan Methodists, the Hardemans lived for the rest of their lives at Milner St, Hilton, where Thomas was a carpenter. Almost invariably, the colonial press rendered the family surname as Hardiman.
A mostly forest-clad high plateau land covering much of the border area between the traditional German provinces of Brunswick, Hanover and Prussian Saxony. Many of the wild legendary tales of German literature have their origins in the Harz Mountains. Great mining towns such as Goslar, Osterode and Zellerfeld formerly created prosperity from copper, iron, lead and silver deposits; alabaster, granite and marble quarries; and tree felling. Numbers of Harz miners and their families emigrated to SA in the 1840s and early 1850s to find employment in the recently-established colonial silver-lead and copper workings.
Importer and ironmonger. Bought portions of TA 151 in Grenfell St, in 1852.
In partnership with Francis Fenden, F Henning established one of Glenelg’s first hotels, the Reed Hut, on the corner of what is now known as Colley Place and Anzac Highway, in 1838. Renamed the Glenelg a year later, this hotel had a rapid turn-over of publicans until the business closed in 1859.
Herring, Edwin Hardy (c1837-25/5/1883)
Eldest son of JM Herring and his second wife, Louisa, nee Balls. To SA 1839 Moffatt,with his parents and step-brother, Giles. Established a monumental mason works at Coonatto, Adelaide.
Herring, Giles Head (c1820-19/7/1876)
Spent his boyhood in Lambeth, before emigrating with his father, JM Herring, and step-mother Louisa 1839 Moffatt. Became a gingerbeer brewer. Married Georgina Potts.
Herring, John Henry (c1812-21/9/1879)
Born Lambeth, London, Teacher, painter. To SA 1839 Somersetshire. Eventually settled in North Adelaide. Anglican. Married Anne. Several sons. Eldest son of JM Herring and his first wife, Hannah, who died in England before the family emigrated.
Herring, John Morris (c1788-3/2/1852)
Born London, England, where he was a builder before emigrating. To SA 1839 Moffatt, with his second wife, Louisa, nee Balls, and three boys, two from his first marriage. Established the Union Inn on TA 174, Waymouth St, on land rented from Osmond Gilles. John died from injuries when his horse ran away in Rundle St and killed a child, as well as proving fatal to him a fortnight after the event. His widow, Louisa, remarried, to John Kellett, an inn-keeper and monumental mason.
Brother of Penny Postage pioneer Rowland Hill, criminal law reformer Matthew Hill bought Section 49, Hundred of Adelaide, as an absentee owner in 1839. While MP for Hull, he had been responsible for conducting the SA Foundation Bill through the House of Commons in 1834. c1849, Hill’s local attorney, GM Stephen, laid out the village of Hilton (perhaps to be Hillton?), before returning to England himself.
Hindley Street, Adelaide.
Charles Hindley was a very religious member of the House of Commons. He belonged to the South Australian Society, a powerful lobby group which kept official support going for South Australia during the late 1830s and early 1840s. For many years, Hindley St was Adelaide’s principal commercial area.
Hindmarsh, Captain John (1785-1860).
South Australia’s first Governor (1836-1838) shared power with the Resident Commissioner of the SA Company. Hindmarsh quarrelled badly with Fisher and also with Surveyor-General William Light. Never-the-less, the Governor bought numbers of allotments in Adelaide and on the Fleurieu Peninsula and continued to keep in touch with SA affairs during his lifetime. After South Australia, Hindmarsh became Governor of Heligoland (1840-1856). In retirement, John lived in Brighton (Sussex) and London.
Hodder, Edwin (13/12/1837-1/7/1904).
Born in the Thames-side town of Staines, Middlesex, England, E Hodder emigrated to New Zealand for four years as a young man. On his return to England, he won a junior clerkship in competitive examinations for positions in the newly-formed Savings Bank Department of London’s GPO during 1861. In time, he rose to become principal clerk, from which post he retired early in ill-health. Early, Edwin took up writing as his principal pastime. At first, he concentrated on children’s books, his first best-seller being a largely autobiographical novel called The Junior Clerk. For many years, Hodder also edited a popular boys’ magazine entitled Old Merry. E Hodder attracted notice with history, when he released the biography Life of the Seventh Earl of Shaftesbury, a work for which the peer himself provided much information.
Somehow, the Angas family contacted Edwin Hodder to persuade him to edit Henry Hussey’s History of SA. Hodder undertook the task, adding further information to bring the story up to 1893, the year of publication. E Hodder also created full and fulsome biographies of GF Angas and his eldest son, JH Angas. Contemporary controversy surrounded Hodder’s South Australian work, which many people felt gave less than due recognition to Henry Hussey. Hodder married twice and had a family of several children. He died in retirement at Brighton.
Surveyor-General W Light gave Glenelg’s harbour this name, after his survey ship, Rapid , had safely ridden out two days of storm there in September 1836.
Land agent and surveyor John Richardson laid out the village of Houghton on Section 5519, Hundred of Yatala, in 1841. The township quickly became an important staging post on the Torrens Valley road to Gumeracha, Blumberg and Mt Pleasant.
Hyland, James (?-1/8/1864)
Labourer Adelaide 1860s. Publican Norwich Arms Hotel, 203 Flinders St, corner of Ackland St 1864. His widow Margaret took over until 1866. With her new husband, Angus McDonald, ran the Phœnix Hotel, Hindley St 1868-1873, then the Rose Inn, Sturt St 1873-1875.
21/12/1861 To James Hyland labourer Adelaide £162/10/-
1/8/1864 James Hyland licensed victualler Adelaide died. Widow Margaret Hyland. Mary 30, Oakley St, 22/12/1891 married Joseph Cooper 54 bachelor farmer Oakley St Father William Cooper, by the Rev’d EG Day, his residence Brown St. 8/4/1898 Mary died, Eliza St, of gastritis from cirrhosis, aged 37. Joseph Cooper died 16/4/1901), Josephine (died 20/9/1885 of acute double pneumonia, Waymouth St, aged 24, spinster), Edmond James and John machinist Adelaide as joint tenants.
6/1/1867 Margaret Hyland, nee Ryan 32, (Father Edmond Ryan), remarried in St Patrick’s Grote St to Angus McDonald 24 storeman Adelaide. Father Martin McDonald.
20/5/1903 Margaret McDonald died. Hotel left to Edmund James and John Hyland machinist Adelaide. EJ Hyland gave over his interest to his brother.
Nickname for a British sailor, especially in the nineteenth century and beforehand.
Labourer Hindmarsh, took over the rest of the lease of Daniel Lyons of part Section 46, Thebarton. 4/3/1854.
Arrived with Governor Hindmarsh on the Buffalo in 1836. Jickling practised as a barrister in Gilles Arcade (qv) until the mid-1840s, when he removed to Gawler Place. In time, he became Master of the Supreme Court of South Australia. For a short while after Judge Jeffcott drowned in a boating accident at the Murray Mouth in 1837, H Jickling was Acting Judge of the colony.
1st Publican Scotch Thistle Inn (Town Acre 200), corner of Waymouth and Bentham Sts, Adelaide, 1839-1840. Wife Jane, son Frederick born 1840. Anglican.