LOCATION: 106 Main Street, Hahndorf
Johann Christian Liebelt was the first owner of this site. His daughter married master carpenter Carl Faehrmann in 1854 who later replaced the original wattle and daub cottage with the present house. To him are attributed the best examples of fachwerk construction in the town.
[Extract from 'A Picturebook of Hahndorf by Anni Luur Fox] 'FAEHRMANN'S HOUSE; 106 Main Street, Johann Christoph Liebelt was the first owner in 1839 and built a two-roomed cottage of wattle and daub. In the door was a mark caused by a spear thrown by an aboriginal at Liebelt's wife, Maria Elizabeth, who barely managed to escape. The couple had 3 acres of wheat, 112 acres of potatoes, 6 cattle and 2 pigs in 1843. Their daughter Eleonore and husband, Johann Carl Friedrich Faehrmann (Father of N.F.C. Faehrmann next door) lived in the homestead for many years before they demolished it and built the present house. J.C.F. Faehrmann was a carpenter who fixed the timber and slates to St. Michael's Church roof and also constructed the timbers of the Old Mill. He built many half-timbered houses in Hahndorf.'
Information from The Hahndorf Allotments Database compiled by Reg Butler.
|Old Lot No.||New Lot No.||Street No.||Street Name|
|House 15||N.H. 19||106||Main Street|
|Year Sold||New Owner||Occupation||Owner's Home||Personal|
|1839||Christian Liebelt #||farmer & shepherd||Hahndorf||From Nickern, Brandenburg|
|1853||Christian Liebelt||farmer||Hahndorf||GRO title|
|1858||Elisabeth Liebelt||widow of C Liebelt||Hahndorf||Nee Kuchel|
|1879||Eleonore Faehrmann *||wife of Carl Faehrmann||Hahndorf||LTO title 1882|
|1963||Johanna Taverner||widow of E Taverner||Hahndorf|
|1972||Barker Development Pty Ltd||business company||Stirling|
# Christian Liebelt spent the whole of his life in Australia in Hahndorf.
* Eleonore Faehrmann, nee Liebelt, was the only daughter of C & E Liebelt.
4043/63 Metric title.