Browsing and Contributing
Please enjoy browsing this site and/or adding content where appropriate or desired - your contributions will be most appreciated.
Simply browse the site by clicking on the solid blue underlined links. A broken blue underline indicates that the link exists but the page has not yet been created.
The LocalWiki Guide provides general help and guidance in editing and constructing individual pages
The following describes how to contribute to and search for specific information contained within the Adelaide Hills LocalWiki
Adelaide Hills - Early History and People
A substantial portion of the Adelaide Hills LocalWiki contains information related to the early history of the Region and information concerning those persons who contributed to the early development and establishment of South Australia with particularly reference to the Adelaide Hills Region.
To enable a broad over-view of this information and links to access further appropriate Menus and Headers, a separate overall Menu is available.
To Locate Existing Content
Existing content can be located and accessed a number of ways including the following:
- Use the [ Search Adelaide Hills ] box at the top LH side of each page to search the whole Adelaide Hills LocalWiki site for any specific information desired. This will provide a list of all pages containing the information requested.
- Use the adjacent 'Main Category Tags' column and click on the "tag" item to obtain a list of all pages tagged with the item selected. Refer to the Page Category Menu below for further information.
- Access All Pages to see a list of the total pages that currently exist in the Adelaide Hills LocalWiki.
- Click on the [ Explore ] tab alongside 'Adelaide Hills' at the top of any page to see listing of pages to explore. Then, if desired, click on [ Start tour ] at the top centre of the page for an automatic random scroll through all existing pages.
Page Category Menu
Page Indexes are based on the use of page "tags" which are located at the bottom of each page. This system relies on the correct "tag/s" being applied at the bottom of each page and must be used for the system to work. A list of the main "tags" used is listed in the adjacent column.
The method used for page tagging in the Adelaide Hills LocalWiki follows the format - ( Specific Town/s tag ] ( Main Category tag ] ( Supplementary tag/s ] For example an actual page tag could be - ( Hahndorf ] ( History & Heritage ] ( Historic Property - Hahndorf ]
If any tag at the bottom of any page is clicked, then a list of all pages containing that tag will be displayed. A list of all tags currently in use is available.
To Contribute Content
If you're interested in getting more involved with this community project or wish to add your own pages, please check out the LocalWiki Guide which provides help and guidance, including a detailed guide on how to contribute and/or edit content. Anyone can contribute to the Adelaide Hills LocalWiki provided they are logged-in. Just click [Edit] at the top of any page and jump in. Please read our Introduction to get started or just browse around and enjoy.
- Click on All Pages at the top to see what's here now, or you can edit this and any other page by clicking the Edit button.
- To create a new page, type a page name into the search box and press Search or create page.
- Need help? ... Please see the help page on the LocalWiki Guide!
- Also have a look at the Tutorial page which guides you through creating a new page.
Some Pages of Interest
Some existing pages of possible interest are listed below:
- South Australia - Early Arrivals and Departures
- Biographies, Annotations and Other Information
- Family Histories Notes
- Hotels and Publicans
- Peramangk Aboriginal People
- Sculpture in the Adelaide Hills
- The Hahndorf Village Voice Newsletter
- JK Stokes Mount Barker Pages
- Adelaide Hills - Local Identities
- History of Mount Barker and District - Annie Jones
- History of Mount Barker - Jean Trigg and Marjorie Robertson
- Mount Barker Township Allotment Details
- History of Hahndorf - CWA 1953
- Explore Hahndorf
- Hahndorf Post Office
- Blumberg Hotel - Birdwood
- Nixon's Windmill
- Hahndorf Main Street Tagged List
- Hahndorf Pioneers, were your ancestors on the 'Zebra'?
Main Page Tags
The following lists the Main "tags' included at the bottom of pages in the Adelaide Hills LocalWiki. Clicking on any particular item will give a list of all pages with that "tag".
- Art & Artist - Includes Art, Artists, Art Galleries
- Banking & Financial - Includes Banks, Credit Unions, Financial Services
Business - Includes local businesses in Adelaide Hills LocalWiki
- Accommodation - Includes Motels, Bed and Breakfasts, Hotel Accommodation.
- Animal - Includes Animals, Pet Supplies and Services, Veterinary Clinics, Grooming
- Automotive - Includes Auto Parts, Tyre Supplies, Service Stations, Car Club & Events
- Facility - Includes Post Offices, Newsagents, General Facilities
- Food & Drink - Includes Restaurants, Cafe's, Eating Places, Coffee Shops, Delicatessens
- Hotels and Publicans - Also includes information on certain other South Australian Hotels and Publicans
- Professional - Includes Legal, Real Estate
- Speciality Shop - Includes Antiques, Garments, Beauty Products, Gifts, Jewellery, Art & Craft Supplies
- Store - Includes Supermarket, Hardware, Discount, General
- Trade - Includes Local Trade Service, Trade Person, Trade Wholesaler
- Wine & Providore - Includes Wineries, Cellar Doors, Boutique Brewers
- Church & Religion - Includes Churches, Religion, Religious History
- Craft & Hobby - Includes Craft, Craft Person, Hobbies, Venue
- Education - Includes Schools, Education Services
- Emergency Service - Includes CFS, Fire Services, Police Stations, Ambulance
- Entertainment & Event - Includes Entertainment, Music, Performing Art, Event, Entertainment Venue, Market
- Genealogy - Includes Historic People, Photographs, Items of Genealogical Interest
- History & Heritage - Includes History and Heritage of Adelaide Hills region, Historic Properties, Historic People, Monuments, Memorials.
- Medical & Health - Includes Doctors, Hospitals, Pharmacies, Health Centres
- Menu - Includes the Main Menu and other Menus and Indexes that are incorporated.
- Organisation - Includes Organisations, Charities, Special Groups
Parks & Reserves - Includes Parks, Reserves, Gardens, Recreation Areas
- Public Toilet - Includes Public Toilet Locations
People - Includes People, Personal
- User - Includes persons signed to log-in
- Butler - Includes articles, data and information extracted with some re-formatting but basically 'as is' from Reg Butler's unpublished computer files.
- Stokes - Includes data and information by JK (Julie) Stokes on Mount Barker as contained in her Rootsweb (Ancestory.com) Genealogy Website (included with permission).
- Haynes (Janis) - Includes John Muller Photos Collection and Ship Zebra Passenger Details.
- Photo & Image - Includes Photographs Historic People and Places, Maps, Diagrams
- Publication - Includes Publications, References
- Sport & Recreation - Includes Sporting and Recreational Clubs and Facilities
Tourism - Includes Tourism Information, Tourist Attractions.
- Explore - Things to Explore
Town - Includes Townships, Villages, Region and Locality
- Hahndorf Happenings - Notable Events, Things and Activities in Hahndorf
Please add any comments/corrections/additions here.