Hook, Brannock, and Barney Residence Halls at Elon University
Hook, Brannock, and Barney, commonly known as HBB, is a coed dormitory in the historic district at Elon University that houses primarily freshmen. On March 3, 1965 the Board of Trustees approved the loan application for construction of this new building. It was decided that the building would be divided into three segments to honor three separate faculty members at Elon University.
Dr. Alonzo Lohr Hook graduated in 1913 from Elon College and joined the faculty in 1914 as a science and math teacher. He is credited as founder of the physics department and served as chair from 1922 to 1957. He was Dean of the College from 1922 to 1935 and again from 1856 to 1957. Dr. Ned Faucette Brannock graduated from Elon College in 1899. He became a chemistry professor at Elon College in 1908 and retired in 1955. John Willis Barney graduated from Elon College in 1910 and joined the faculty in 1925, serving in the English department for 33 years. Between May and November 1931, he served as acting president with the assistance of Dr. Hook.
Ground was broken for the project on October 13, 1965 and the dormitory opened for students in fall of 1966. HBB is still used today to house underclassmen at Elon University.