The apartment building at 1315 Hill Street in Ann Arbor was constructed in 2006 by the A.R. Brouwer Co. of Dexter for Campus Realty. The building's contemporary design in a historic neighborhood has received mixed reactions, with some observers finding it "ugly" while others believe it to be a very attractive - if unorthodox - example of infill construction. Materials are higher quality than typical new campus-oriented apartments, including a slate exterior, bamboo flooring, and granite countertops.
The structure has 7 apartments on three stories, with parking under the east side of the building. Apartments are 3-4 bedrooms and 2-3 bath, totalling 13,600 square feet.
Amariah Freeman House
The previous structure at this address was the Amariah Freeman House, a "textbook example of the Italian Renaissance style" constructed in 1908 by attorney Amariah Freeman. In 1914, Freeman sold the house to the Alpha Sigma Phi fraternity after building another house at the corner of Hill and East University Street. In 1941, the house became a "League" women's boarding house, then the Alpha Kappa Kappa fraternity house from 1949-1962. More recently, The house was used by Delta Sigma Phi. It burned in 1994 and was demolished in 1999.
- A.R. Brouer Co. website, Current Projects - 1315 Hill Street
- Campus Realty website, Available properties
- AIA Philadelpha, 2010 Architectural Excellence Award Winner
- KieranTimberlake, architects
Previous historic building
- Ann Arbor Historic District Commission minutes, 12 January 06
- AADL Historic Buildings of Ann Arbor, 1315 Hill Street.
- Delta Sigma Phi, Ann Arbor District Library "Old News". Clippings from the Ann Arbor News from the 1994 fire, including photographs.
- "Hello, Iowa" -- Welcome sign on Alpha Sigma Phi Fraternity, 1315 Hill Street, November 22, 1924., photo collected by Wystan Stevens
Owned by the ASPs from 1914 to 1941, this Italian Renaissance palazzo on the NE corner of Hill and Forest was built in 1908 and demolished in 1999.