Haven Hall burned on June 6, 1950.
Haven Hall, situated at the northwest corner of campus , was destroyed by fire on June 6, 1950. Built in 1863 to house the Law Department, in 1950 it was home to the History, Journalism and Sociology Departments and the Bureau of Government. The fire raged out of control for three hours as a crowd of 15,000 watched. Damages were estimated at $3,000,000 including many irreplaceable items in the Bureau of Government Library. The new wing of Angell Hall completed in 1952 reused the name Haven Hall.
Jordan & Anderson, architect (1863); Spier & Rohns (1898). The old Law Building was renamed Haven Hall in 1933. It becomes one of the main buildings for LS&A used by Departments of History, Sociology and Journalism. The old Law Library became a study hall and Bureau of Government Library. Extension Division also had offices in Haven Hall.
- Haven Hall, Old News collection, Ann Arbor District Library