Citizens' Climate Lobby (CCL) is a national, non-partisan, grassroots organization, with over 250 chapters throughout the US and Canada (including 9 in Michigan), working to create solutions for global warming. The motto of CCL is Political will for a livable world. CCL advocates for federal legislation to put a price on greenhouse gas emissions. The CCL proposal, called Carbon Fee and Dividend, works like this:
- Fossil fuel companies pay a fee, at the point of extraction (well, mine, port of entry), based on the amount of CO2 emitted by the fuel
- The fee starts out at $15/ton CO2, and increases by $10/ton CO2 each year
- 100% of the revenue is returned directly to individuals, on a per capita basis, as a monthly dividend
- A border adjustment on goods traded with countries that don't have carbon pricing protects manufacturers and prevents leakage.
CCL trains volunteers how to speak effectively to their federal members of Congress, the media, and members of the community. Volunteers meet with and write letters to their members of Congress, write letters to the editor and op-eds, meet with editorial boards, and hold outreach events.
The Ann Arbor Chapter of Citizens' Climate Lobby meets once per month, usually on the second Saturday of the month, from 12:45 - 2:45 pm. Meetings consist of a conference call with the national organization, featuring a different guest speaker each month, followed by a discussion of local actions. To confirm the time and location of the next meeting, check the Ann Arbor CCL website or contact [email protected]
To learn more about Citizens' Climate Lobby:
- Send email to [email protected]
- Visit the Ann Arbor CCL website
- Visit the CCL National website
- Watch a 2 minute video about CCL
- Join the weekly CCL Introductory call, held every Wednesday at 8pm ET
- Watch Access Ann Arbor on Community Television Network
- Watch The Green Room on Community Television Network