Barton Dam is one of Ann Arbor's four dams on the Huron River. It was designed by engineer Gardner Stewart Williams and architect Emil Lorch and built in 1912-13 as part of the development of hydroelectric power on the Huron River by the predecessor of Detroit Edison. The earthen-construction dam is 34 feet high and 1767 feet long, and has a typical surface area of 315 acres and typical storage of 5050 acre-feet. The dam can be accessed from Huron River Drive from the city park located at the foot of Bird Road.
The City of Ann Arbor purchased the dam from Detroit Edison in the 1960s, and restarted hydroelectric generation in the 1980s. The facility has a 900-kilowatt turbine that generates 4.2 million kWh per year.
Extremely photogenic: http://flickr.com/photos/tags/bartondam/
- Ann Arbor Chronicle, 12 June 2009 - Hydropower at Argo Dam?
- Harnessing the Power of the Huron River, online exhibit at the Bentley Historical Library.
- "American Hydroelectric Practice", 1915, pp 90-94, describing Barton Plant and Dam
- "The Michigan Alumnus", Nov 1911, citing Williams as the designer
- Ann Arbor District Library historical collection - Barton Dam Under Construction, 1912
- FindLakes.com - Barton Dam
- bartondam on Flickr