David William Osler (1921-2014) was an Ann Arbor architect. He died on Sept. 8, 2014. 

He founded David W. Osler Associates in 1958, headquartered in the historic Washtenaw Light & Power sub-station (1902) at 916 Fuller Road. During his career, he worked on projects including the Oslund Condominiums, Newport West Condominiums, St. Clare of Assisi Episcopal Church, the former Nellie Loving Branch of the Ann Arbor Library, Geddes Lakes Townhouses, and alterations and additions to the Ann Arbor District Library and National Bank and Trust Company.

Osler's papers are held by the Bentley Historical Library, and include plans, drawings, and photographs of his architectural work.

He was married for nearly seven decades to Connie (Lorch) Osler. They had three children: Molly Osler of Ann Arbor, Robin Osler (Bruce Matthews) of New York, NY, and Peter Osler (Betsy Williams) of Ann Arbor.

In the news

Osler, an Ann Arbor native, originally went to the University of Michigan to become an illustrator and studied advertising. His schooling was interrupted by the U.S. Navy, which sent him abroad during World War II, including to the shores of Normandy on D-Day. After returning home, Osler in 1946 married his ninth-grade sweetheart, Connie Lorch, daughter of Emil Lorch, who was founder and dean of the U-M's School of Architecture from 1906 until 1939. He decided pursuing architecture would be a bit more lucrative than breaking into illustration.