Lawrence, Edwin — of Ann Arbor, Washtenaw County, Mich. Whig. Candidate for U.S. Representative from Michigan 1st District, 1844, 1846; justice of Michigan state supreme court, 1857; circuit judge in Michigan 4th Circuit, 1858-69. Burial location unknown.
Edwin Lawrence was a pioneer in Michigan before it was a state, and one of only six lawyers in Washtenaw County in 1832. Lawrence was apparently born in 1808, in Washtenaw County, but no other information is readily available on his early life. He moved into Washtenaw County in 1832, settled in Ann Arbor, and lived there for the rest of his life.
The house was built for attorney John Lawrence, who became a United States District Attorney and Circuit Court Commissioner. He was the son of Edwin Lawrence, a respected judge for whom Lawrence Street was named. The Lawrence family were active in developing Ann Arbor and platted the area south of Packard Street and east of Division, naming the streets Edwin, Sybil, Benjamin, and Mary after family members.