Harris Hall, a two-and-a-half-story gable, roofed structure was constructed in 1886. Standing on a random ashlar foundation, this red-brick structure has a projecting, gable roofed entrance flanked by buttressed walls. The key elements are stone string coursing,terra cotta and brick detailing at arched, double hung and stained glass window openings. Harris Hall was remodeled in 1980 to house office space.
Built in 1886 for St Andrew's Episcopal Church to serve as a parish house and student center, Harris Hall is significant not only for its fine Richardsonian Romanesque design by Gordon Lloyd, but also for its role in Ann Arbor social and cultural life. The hall continued in its original purpose until 1943 when it housed a U.S.O. for servicemen in military training. The University of Michigan then leased the building until 1974 for the band and wind instrument departments. St. Andrews then sold the building for use as office space.
Originally named Hobart Hall (after the Reverend John Henry Hobart, the first Bishop to officiate in what is now the state of Michigan), the building was renamed to honor the memory of Bishop Samuel Harris when he died in 1888.