Uriah H. Lawton Elementary is a school in the Ann Arbor Public Schools. It is located at 2250 S. Seventh St., Ann Arbor, MI 48103, near Lawton Park and Meadowbrook Park. Shannon Blick is the school principal.
Lawton students continue on to Slauson Middle School.
The school mascot is the Leopards.
- On August 16, 1972, the Ann Arbor Board of Education approved Superintendent R. Bruce McPherson's recommendation for the appointment of Glenn Munro, Jr. as interim principal of Lawton with a pro-rated annual salary of $20,705. Munro received his B.A. and M.A. degrees in 1962 and 1964, respectively. He taught mathematics at Cleary College in 1962 for two years. In 1964 he began teaching at Carpenter Elementary School. He began teaching driver education at Huron High School in 1969, when the new school opened. Former Lawton principal Burton Lamkin was named the new principal of Thurston Elementary School. (From Ann Arbor News archives.)
- 1964, September: Lawton School is opened. Dedicated in October of 1964, the school was named after Uriah W. (sic) Lawton, Ann Arbor Schools first Superintendent, who led from 1862-1867. The 12+ acre site for the school was purchased jointly by the City of Ann Arbor and the Ann Arbor School System and was designed for use as both a park and school.
- 1963: Lawton School (the first phase) is completed, but not opened because of a shortage in operating funds in the Ann Arbor School District
Principal: Shannon Blick
Phone: (734) 994-1946
2250 S. Seventh St
Ann Arbor, MI 48103