It originally opened in 1959 as the Saline High School. When a new high school building, currently the Saline Middle School, was opened on Maple Road in 1971, the Liberty School housed middle school grades 6-8. When the High School moved again in 2004, the Liberty School remained a Middle School housing grades 7-8 until renovations on the Maple Road building were complete.
The facility is leased to various groups, clubs and organizations periodically. Liberty School is the site of Saline's Community Education Co-Ed Intramural Basketball League.