Only the sign is left at the Michigan Inn, a former Ramada hotel and restaurant built in 1968 and demolished in 2009.
Located at 2800 Jackson Road, this collection of decrepit buildings was built in 1968 as a Ramada hotel and restaurant. By the 1980s, it was rebranded as Comfort Inn. The 4.5 acre property has been vacant at least since 1991, when Dale Newman purchased it. Newman sold the property to former Scio Township builder Larry Hiss in 2008 after a 2006 transaction fell through.
After a July 2007 fire, which caused an estimated $150,000 worth of damage and was ruled arson by investigators, the City asked for a court-appointed receiver to take control of the property and eliminate the dangerous conditions. In September of 2007, Washtenaw County Circuit Court Judge Melinda Morris appointed Jim Chaconas, a real estate broker with McKinley to assess the condition of the property and report what would be necessary to secure and maintain the property. In early October, Chaconas reported to the Court that he believed the only way to render the site completely safe would be to demolish the buildings entirely; an intermediate step would involve a ten-foot fence and alarm system to secure the property.
In November, Morris ordered that the property be secured and fenced by January 1, 2008, and scheduled a hearing for January 11. She declined to order the building demolished at that time, preferring to wait for a hearing. Meanwhile, the Washtenaw County Treasurer's Office has noted that the property will be foreclosed on in March 2008 for $23,000 in back taxes.
Newman, who contests Chaconas' report as pandering to the City, has had problems at other properties, including utility shutoffs at several rental apartments in late August 2007 for failure to pay bills and illegal meter connections.
- Ann Arbor News, February 2009, Michigan Inn in Ann Arbor coming down
- Ann Arbor News, April 2008, Old Michigan Inn property sold, buildings to be demolished by new owner Larry Hiss
- Ann Arbor News, 29 Nov. 2007, Judge sets up hearing for Michigan Inn
- Ann Arbor News, October 4, 2007: Report: Raze Michigan Inn
- Ann Arbor News, September 11, 2007: City wins round in Michigan Inn Fight
- Ann Arbor News, Sale in the works for Michigan Inn site
- Ann Arbor News, City seeks approval to tear down Michigan Inn, Nov 24 2007
- Michigan Inn, Old News collection, Ann Arbor District Library. Contains details of early 1990s plans for the site to be turned into condos, a women's shelter, and eventual purchase by Newman to renovate as a low cost hotel.