Mike Anglin (b. 1944) served as a Democrat on the Ann Arbor City Council representing Ward 5 from November 2007 until November 2015. He and his wife, Kathy Clark, are owners of the First Street Garden Inn, a bed and breakfast on the Old West Side.
In his capacity as a city council member, Anglin served as an ex officio (non-voting) member of the Ann Arbor park advisory commission.
Anglin's volunteer activities include working with the Ann Arbor Kiwanis Club helping with Saturday sales, and previously serving on the Kiwanis board of directors. He helped organize the Kiwanis Meals on Wheels program and makes Meals on Wheels deliveries. He also tutors children in reading for the Family Learning Institute, and serves on the executive committee of the local chapter of the Sierra Club – Huron Valley Group.
Originally from Brooklyn, N.Y., Anglin previously taught junior high school and special education. He also owned a construction/renovation company.
Timeline: Mike Anglin
- Aug. 4, 2015: Bid to win Democratic Party nomination for re-election to Ward 5 City Council falls short, as Anglin receives 1,302 votes (44.6%), to Chip Smith's 1,613 (55.3%). Smith to appear unopposed on the Nov. 3, 2015 ballot.
- June 13, 2015: Participates in Ann Arbor Democratic Party candidate forum, along with Chip Smith.
- Apr. 15, 2015: Participates in the Ford School candidate debate.
- Mar. 5, 2015: Formalizes intent to seek re-election to his Ward 5 city council seat by taking out petitions to run in the Aug. 4, 2015 Democratic primary. On the same day, Chip Smith takes out petitions to contest the Democratic primary for Ward 5.
- Nov. 5, 2013: Wins the general election to his fourth term on city council. Although he is unopposed by any political party candidate and is the only name on the ballot, Democrats Chip Smith and Tom Partridge are official write-in candidates. Anglin gets 2,112 votes (67.78%) compared to 1,004 write-in votes (32.22%).
- Aug. 6, 2013: Is unopposed so there is no Democratic primary in Ward 5.
- Nov. 8, 2011: Defeats Republican candidate Stuart Berry to win the general election for a third term on city council. Anglin gets 2,750 votes (79.59%) compared to 677 votes (19.59%) for Berry.
- Aug. 2, 2011: Wins Democratic primary against challenger Neal Elyakin. Anglin gets 1,088 votes (65.86%) compared to 562 votes (34.02%) for Elyakin.
- Nov. 3, 2009: Is unopposed in the general election and wins his second term to city council with 3,929 votes (95.95%).
- Aug. 4, 2009: Wins Democratic primary against challenger Scott Rosencrans. Anglin gets 1,301 votes (65.18%) compared to 694 votes (34.77%) for Rosencrans.
- Nov. 6, 2007: Is elected to his first two-year term on Ann Arbor city council. He is unopposed in the general election and wins with 711 votes (92.7%).
- Aug. 7, 2007: Wins the Democratic primary against incumbent Wendy Woods. Anglin gets 989 votes (59.58%) compared to 671 votes (40.42%) for Woods.
- DATE? With his wife Kathy Clark, opens First Street Garden Inn, a bed and breakfast on Ann Arbor's Old West Side. The B&B has been featured on the Small Elegant Hotels website.
- DATE? Runs his own construction and renovation company, working as a master electrician.
- DATE? Works as an early childhood reading specialist, then does vocational training for special education students aged 18-22.
- DATE? Receives a masters degree in special education.
- DATE? Teaches science in junior high school in Brooklyn, NY.
Elections: Ward 5 City Council General (Nov. 3, 2013)
Unable to include Elections: Ward 5 City Council General (Nov. 3, 2013)
In the news
Ann Arbor Democratic Party candidate forum – June 13, 2015 video posted on YouTube
Eaton and Anglin facing challengers in 4th and 5th ward races for Ann Arbor City Council – MLive, March 5, 2015
City Council Incumbents, AAPS Tax Win – Ann Arbor Chronicle, Nov. 6, 2013
Ann Arbor's 5th Ward election results: Anglin defeats two write-in opponents – MLive, Nov. 5, 2013
Ann Arbor Campaign Finance 2013 – Ann Arbor Chronicle, Oct. 26, 2013
Ann Arbor City Council Dems 2013: Finance – Ann Arbor Chronicle, July 26, 2013
Dems Forum Finale: The Campaign, The Party – Ann Arbor Chronicle, June 23, 2013
Dems Forum Part 3: Connections – Ann Arbor Chronicle, June 12, 2013
Dems Forum Part 2: How Loud Is Loud? – Ann Arbor Chronicle, June 11, 2013
Dems Forum Part 1: Conceptual Ann Arbor – Ann Arbor Chronicle, June 10, 2013
General Election 2011: Results Roundup – Ann Arbor Chronicle, Nov. 9, 2011
Mike Anglin beats Stuart Berry in 5th Ward race for Ann Arbor City Council – AnnArbor.com, Nov. 8, 2011
Incumbents Win Ann Arbor Dem Primaries – Ann Arbor Chronicle, Aug. 2, 2011
Democratic Primary 2011: Mapping Money – Ann Arbor Chronicle, July 26, 2011
Ann Arbor Elections Past: Voting Patterns – Ann Arbor Chronicle, July 24, 2011
Ann Arbor Ward 5 Dems in 100 (Or So) Words – Ann Arbor Chronicle, July 20, 2011
Photos: Politicians on Parade – Ann Arbor Chronicle, July 4, 2011
Ann Arbor Ward 5: Democratic Primary 2011 – Ann Arbor Chronicle, June 15, 2011
City Council Dems Primary Results – Ann Arbor Chronicle, Aug. 4, 2009
Their Words: Ward 5 Council Candidates – Ann Arbor Chronicle, July 14, 2009
Anglin credits campaigning for upset over Woods, Ann Arbor News, Aug. 8, 2007
2009 Campaign website: http://voteformike.org/
2007 Campaign material: http://www.aadems5-4.org/mike-anglin.html
Contributing to this Page
For some existing timeline elements more precise dates would be desirable. Update strategy: Add timeline elements and news links as history unfolds.