Mooreville was one of the early settlements of Washtenaw County, located at Stony Creek Road at Mooreville Road in York Township. Land records there go back to 1824. There were just under 1200 residents in York Township when Michigan became a state in 1837. An abandoned church from the 1800’s still stands about 200 feet from the road surrounded by trees.
Mooreville was settled by John Moore from New York state, who moved there with members of his family.
The first sawmill in York Township was built at Mooreville in 1832 by Isaac Hathaway.