Near North was a proposed property development in the North Central neighborhood along North Main Street. Avalon Housing decided to abandon the project in 2012, after revised FEMA flood maps put a large portion of the site in the floodplain, which negated much of the funding that the project had relied on.
The now-abandoned homes on North Main are derelict and are facing demolition, so it is said, in 2013.
Architect: Damian Farrell Design Group
William J. Godfrey, Principal, Near North Apartments
- Ann Arbor.com, Nov 1, 2012: Near North project stalled on Ann Arbor's North Main Street: What's next?
- Near North affordable housing project in Ann Arbor moving forward with brownfield plan, AnnArbor.com, June 2010
- Near North affordable housing project to get $250,000 in federal funding for green design, AnnArbor.com, April 2010
- Near North affordable housing project gets $500,000 commitment from Ann Arbor DDA, Ryan Stanton for AnnArbor.com, January 2010
A 39-unit affordable housing project received a $500,000 boost from the Ann Arbor Downtown Development Authority's governing board this afternoon. DDA officials agreed to contribute funding toward Avalon Housing's construction of the Near North apartment complex on 1.19 acres at 626-724 North Main St.
- Ann Arbor city council meeting, file number #09-0722 September 21, 2009
8/6/09 Amendment to Chapter 55, Rezoning of 1.19 Acres from O (Office District) to PUD (Planned Unit Development), Near North Proposal, 626-724 North Main Street
On council’s agenda for Thursday is the first reading for the Near North PUD (planned unit development). Representatives of the development team at caucus included Bill Godfrey of Three Oaks Group, along with Michael Appel from Avalon Housing – a nonprofit that’s is partnering with Three Oaks on the project – and the project architect, Damian Farrell. They were at caucus to provide a laptop-and-projector presentation on the project.
The Ann Arbor Planning Commission delayed a decision on a proposed multi-story, affordable-housing apartment complex that would be built on Main Street, north of downtown.
- Vote on Near North apartment project delayed by Ann Arbor Planning Commission, Ann Arbor News, April 2009
Near North is a plan to demolish a handful of houses on North Main Street, north of downtown Ann Arbor, and build a 39-unit apartment building. The developers say the area needs the kind of affordable housing Near North will provide; neighbors say it's too big.