Peace Neighborhood Center is a nonprofit that provides programs for children, families, and individuals who are affected by social and economic problems.
The center is located at 1111 N. Maple, near the Maple Estates public housing complex. The executive director is Bonnie Billups, Jr.
2013: Long-time former Executive Director Rose Martin dies.
2011: The Family Enrichment Program is launched as a part of Peace’s wrap-around approach to providing necessary support to all members of a household involved in Peace programs.
2009: The Peace House Transitional Housing Center opens, allowing PNC to provide temporary supportive housing to clients in need.
2006: Executive Director Rose Martin retires. Bonnie Billups, Jr., Program Director for 15 years, replaces her.
June 21, 2003: PNC celebrates the opening of “A Home for Peace” – its new, expanded facilities at 1111 N. Maple.
2001: PNC wins the Prize for Excellence in Nonprofit Management in Washtenaw County from NEW (Nonprofit Enterprise at Work).
2000: Zion and Trinity Lutheran Churches donate the building and land to PNC as a leadership gift for the “A Home for Peace” Capital Campaign.
1999: College & Career Prep Club (CCPC) begins.
1998: Performance Arts Academy and LEAD (Learning, Experiencing, and Achieving Dreams) begin.
1997: PNC joins BUILD (Building, Unity, Independence, Leadership, and Development), a substance abuse prevention collaboration. CAP (Computer Access Program) begins.
1996: PNC receives Substance Abuse Prevention Program license.
1995: Peace Neighborhood Center expands programs to all of Washtenaw County. PNC joins F.U.N., Families of United Neighborhoods.
1992: South Maple Breakfast program begins.
1988: Substance Abuse program begins.
1986: Peace Neighborhood Center expands its programs to include all of Ann Arbor.
1985: Peace Neighborhood Center becomes a United Way Agency.
1980: First Awards Night. Alternatives for Youth Program begins.
1977: Job program is established.
1976: Rose Martin becomes Executive Director.
1974: Summer Day Camp is established.
1971: Neighbors and churches decide to establish Peace Neighborhood Center as a self-governing, nonprofit community center. Trinity Lutheran Church and Zion Lutheran Church provide the building.
1969-1970: Low-cost public housing built on North and South Maple. Tension in the community divides the neighborhood. Public housing residents and private homeowners need a place to meet and discuss concerns.
1956: Peace Lutheran Church builds a house chapel at 1111 N. Maple Road.