The Peninsular Paper plant, constructed in 1867 to supply newsprint to the Chicago Tribune, stood next to the Huron River on the northwest side of Ypsi until 2004. After production ceased in 2001, Edwards Communities (a Columbus, Ohio development firm) purchased the factory and demolished it for the Peninsular Apartments development.
The generator house still stands on the edge of the River: http://flickr.com/photos/mfobrien/107843372/ http://www.flickr.com/photos/merobson/2605945796/
Peninsular Paper on other sites:
- Eastern Echo: http://easternecho.com/cgi-bin/story.cgi?1455
- Urban Exploration Resource: http://www.uer.ca/locations/show.asp?locid=20267
- Peninsular Paper, 1916; from Ypsilanti Gleanings, August 1973, at Ann Arbor District Library