People's Express is operated by Northfield Human Services.
In the news
Reached by phone, Doug Anderson, director of People's Express, explained that it's a 15-year-old program formerly funded by Northfield Township's human services, but is now an independent 501(C)3 nonprofit agency. As a transportation agency, as opposed to an "authority," the service crosses county lines and provides services in the near corners of Oakland and Livingston counties, as well as Washtenaw County. Within Washenaw they serve the townships of Ypsilanti, Pittsfield, Superior, Salem, Northfield, Ann Arbor, Bridgewater, and York. It's a dial-a-ride service, which in many cases means door-to-door service. In the context of an expansion of AATA's service to include a greater geographic reach, Anderson said that People's Express would continued to play a similar role – that of a connector to other services and to fill in gaps where no services exist. They cannot duplicate service already provided. To reserve a ride with People's Express, the number is 877.214.6073.
- People's Express bus causes rift in Scio Township, Ann Arbor News, August 2008
The new People's Express service starts at 7 a.m. at Scio Farms Estates, a mobile home community, and goes east with stops at the Meijer store at Jackson and Zeeb roads and at Lake Stone Apartments, arriving at the AATA bus stop at Wagner and Jackson 25 minutes later. That allows passengers to make a connection to the AATA bus that leaves that location at 31 minutes after the hour.
- Express%22+site:annarbor.com People's Express stories on AnnArbor.com
- Express%22+site:annarborchronicle.com People's Express stories on Ann Arbor Chronicle
- Express%22+site:annarborobserver.com People's Express stories on Ann Arbor Observer
- Express%22+site:heritage.com People's Express stories in Heritage Media newspapers
- Express%22&sa=N&tbs=nws:1,ar:1 People's Express stories in the Google News archives