The Stearns Collection is a collection of musical instruments from around the world. The University of Michigan owns more than 2500 instruments; about 200 are on display at any time. The collection is located in the Moore Music Building on North Campus.
In 1899, Frederick Stearns (1831-1907), a Detroit businessman who collected and studied many things to satisfy his own intellectual interests, donated a collection of 940 musical instruments to the University of Michigan. The collection was housed at Hill Auditorium until the 1970s, when it moved to North Campus.
- University of Michigan School of Music, Theatre, and Dance: Stearns Collection
The exhibit cases in Hill's lower-level Kennedy Lobby feature rotating displays of Stearns Collection objects. Ann Arbor designer Ted Lottman constructed colorful displays encompassing three different aspects of the 2,500 instruments in the Stearns Collection.