Stockwell Hall is one of the Hill Dorms on Observatory; it is in the midst of renovations and is now closed. It was opened as a women's dorm in 1940 and will reopen in the fall of 2009 as co-ed housing.
In the news
- U-M's Stockwell Hall to become coeducational residence, University of Michigan News Service, November 2008
- U-M's Stockwell Hall to get $39.6 million facelift, Ann Arbor News, November 2007.
Most of the Stockwell Hall project fixes the building's infrastructure, including the roof, windows and masonry. The all-female residence hall, noted for its striking collegiate gothic facades, opened in 1940. It will close for the renovations in May.
Named after Madelon Louisa Stockwell, the first woman to be admitted to the University.