Washtenaw Avenue (M-17) is the primary road link between Ann Arbor and Ypsilanti. We'll start from where Huron Street (Ann Arbor) takes a wide sweeping curve to the southeast, and we'll end up in Ypsilanti. Over the course of this journey Washtenaw will pass both UM's and EMU's campuses, and range from a five lane river of traffic passing through urban sprawl to a one way residential street, before dead ending at Huron Street (Ypsilanti).
Washtenaw is a tricky street for numbering; there is at least one case where two places share the same street number, one in Ann Arbor, one in Ypsilanti. (need details)
M-17 leaves Washtenaw at Hamilton Street, cutting south to Michigan Avenue.
- 204: Undergraduate Science Building (USB)
- formerly NUBS (UM)
photo: view of intersection
- 1705: Ozone House
- 2000: Beth Israel Congregation
photo: traffic congestion
Cloverleaf intersection for US-23 freeway.
Northbound to Flint, southbound to Toledo
- 4837: vacant, for sale
- formerly Banh Na Thai and Laotian restaurant
- 4872: University Office Equipment office printers and copiers
- 4890: Washtenaw Wash coin laundry
- 4896: Tuptim Thai restaurant formerly
At this awkward X-intersection, Washtenaw becomes one-way, east-bound; Cross is one-way, westbound, until it hits Washtenaw. This intersection, and surrounding one-way streets, helps many get lost in Ypsi.
- Statue of Demetrius Ypsilanti
- Ypsilanti Water Tower