Nickels Arcade is a covered shopping district in downtown Ann Arbor, built in 1918. It's a short walk, we'll start on State Street.
A story in the Michigan Daily in 2009 reflects on the turnover in businesses in the arcade.
According to an Mlive article in late July, 2015, a 21 year old student fell through the glass ceiling to his death.
Nickels Arcade Celebrates 100 Years
Wed, 05/24/2017 - 8:58am by oldnews
By Grace Shackman
Nickels Arcade celebrates its Centennial this year and the Arcade and AADL are commemorating the milestone with exhibits, receptions and a digital history of the Arcade. AADL will host an exhibit at the Downtown Library beginning June 1, 2017, featuring photos, articles, and artifacts that tell the story of the first 100 years of Nickels Arcade. The Arcade "family" will have ongoing exhibits throughout the Arcade and a gala reception in July.
Nickels Arcade: The First 100 Years
Author Grace Shackman
It's a mystery why State St. butcher Tom Nickels decided to build an elegant shopping arcade. According to his family he'd never seen an arcade, yet the one he built is breathtakingly beautiful. His descendants still own it, and four generations of family members are convening this month to celebrate its 100th birthday.
See photos of Ann Arbor's Nickels Arcade over the last 100 years
A walk through Nickels Arcade, December 2017
Nickels Arcade on Facebook www.facebook.com/nickelsarc
1-3: The Caravan Shop, Gifts and collectibles
- 6: Arcade Barbers Barber Shop
- 7: University Flower Shop Florist
- 8: Apples and Oranges Computer repair
- 9: Parrish Framing Custom picture framing, art, prints
- 11: Maison Edwards Tobacconist
- 16: Comet Coffee Coffee
- 17: Van Boven Shoes Men and women's shoes Van Boven Men
- 's clothing
Former Nickels Arcade businesses
- US Post Office, Arcade Station
- 2: FCB House of Flavors
- 2: Beagle Brain computer repair (moved to 8)
- 5: Henrietta Fahrenheit
- 5: Wendy (closed 2014)
- 8: Beagle Brain computer repair (renamed as Apples and Oranges computer repair, 2015)
- 16: Schoolkids Records in Exile