The village has a number of older and more modern notable buildings, including:
The Banta House (Arlington Heights Historical Museum)
(Added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1988 | Registration Form)
The Müller House (Arlington Heights Historical Museum)
(Added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1979)
Recent Past Survey Database:
In 2006, the School of the Art Institute of Chicago’s Graduate Program in Historic Preservation compiled a database of modern buildings, built from 1930-79. It includes a number of works in Arlington Heights. To search:
Select "Arlington Heights" as the municipality.
Click "Search Now."
The Lustron Locator at the Lustron Home preservation site shows 381 Lustron homes listed in Illinois, a number of which are located in Arlington Heights (the list shows them in order by city/village). According to the Illinois Digital Archive listing for now-demolished Lustron home at 831 N. Mitchell Ave.:
"Several of these porcelain - steel Lustron homes were built in Arlington Heights. They were very efficient kit homes built between 1948 and 1950 and approximately 2,600 of these were produced in the United States. They were easily identified by their steel two foot square metal siding panel units and came in four colors: yellow, blue, tan and gray. The Lustron panels were patented in 1947. They were warm in winter, cool in summer and nearly impossible to enlarge. Only a couple of those built in Arlington Heights have survived. The Lustron Corporation had various production problems and defaulted on its loans, one of which was a 1947 loan from the federal Reconstruction Finance Corp. for $15.5 million. The company declared bankruptcy and ceased production in 1950. The Lustron pictured here was razed in 2000 and replaced with an approximately 2,800 square foot, two story home. "