Congregation Ahavath Beth Israel Synagogue and Education Center 11 North Latah Street Boise, ID 83706
The historic synagogue was built in 1895 by architects Chesney & Schroeder. The church is located on the corner of 11th and State Street. It is the longest continuously operating synagogue located west of the Mississippi. The church is a Moorish revival structure of wood and sandstone, and uses shingles to imitate courses of stone. The structure used Boise sandstone, and cedar shingles. It has several windows in geometric patters, and there is also a large Moorish arched window in the south facade. Moses Alexander and the Falk brothers were the founders of the congregation. The synagogue is the only building left standing that was designed by Chesney & Schroeder. The temple was added to the National Register of Historic Places, and was provided preservation funds. In 1980-1981 several improvements were made to the building, and the congregation's membership grew in size. Later, in 2003 the synagogue was moved to its current location on North Latah St.
For more information about the synagogue see http://www.ahavathbethisrael.org/
For images see http://boisearchitecture.org/structuredetail.php?id=108
Are there other historic churches in the area that should be included in a post?