Idaho Power Company
Photo by Pamela RentzIdaho Power Company is one of the oldest companies in the state, and has a long history of serving the people of Idaho. Idaho Power filed for incorporation in Maine on May 6, 1915. The company was headquartered in the City of Boise and the corporate office has reminded there to this day. Idaho Power was created by combining small local companies across the state into one regional corporation.
In 1915, Idaho-Oregon Light and Power, Idaho Railway Light and Power, Idaho Power and Light, Great Shoshone and Twin Falls Water Power, and Southern Idaho Power agreed to combine and form Idaho Power. In 1917, Thousand Springs Power also joined the company. In 1928, Idaho Power acquired Vale Power Company, Murtaugh Light and Power, and Salmon River Power and Light. In 1935, Nevada Power joined Idaho Power. In 1944 to 1946, Jordan Valley Electric Cooperative, Long Valley Power Cooperative, and Malheur Cooperative Electric Association joined the company as well. The company slowed its rate of acquisitions until it added Prairie Power Cooperative in 1991, creating the Idaho Power Company that we know today.
Idaho Power currently employs nearly 2,000 people, and has a service area of 24,000 square miles in Southern Idaho and Eastern Oregon. Idaho Power provides service to approximately 500,000 customers within this service territory. Idaho Power owns and operates 17 hydroelectric dams and two natural gas power plants with a third under construction. Idaho Power also owns shares in three coal–fired power plants.
http://www.idahopower.com/AboutUs/CompanyInformation http://www.idahopower.com/AboutUs/CompanyInformation/Facts Susan Stacy, Legacy of Light, A History of Idaho Power (Boise:Caxton,1991)