"To just call it a roast beef sandwich would not do it justice. First, take a Kaiser roll, brush the top with water and add caraway seeds and pretzel salt and bake for a few minutes to make it crusty. You are now holding kummelweck (or kimmelweck), usually shortened to weck. Add a few pieces of rare roast beef and a substantial quantity of horseradish. Dip the top half of the weck in the roast beef juices. Enjoy. Begin fighting over where you can get the best one.
You can get weck at some Wegmans, and some restaurants in Rochester do serve a passable Beef on Weck. Don't ever say that to a Buffalonian ... . For their money, you can only get a Beef on Weck at Schwabl's or Charlie the Butcher's. "1
Places serving Beef on Weck:
Notes and References
- NY Folklore Society article
- Recipe Page - WhatsCookingAmerica.net with some history
- PBS - Sandwiches That You Will Like
- In Rochester the same sandwich is often spelled Beef on Wick on menus.
How about some Buffalonian - input here !!!
1. Base article from Beef_On_Weck