The Ridgedale Area dates back to 1887 centered at the intersection of what is today Main Street (Formerly called Montgomery) and Dodds Avenue, which was named after the founder David Tucker Dodds, who also developed Highland Park. The Ridgedale area included the streets between Lyerly and homes running up the side of Missionary Ridge.
Facilitated by the street railroad, which came from downtown to the Ridgedale area, Dodds Avenue became a major shopping district as Chattanooga outgrew its downtown area. This status continued until access to the Brainerd and East Ridge Areas became viable with the construction of the tunnels through Missionary Ridge.
In the 1950's some of the voting districts were re-distributed, and Willow St was widened and became the new border between Highland Park and Ridgedale.
Urban sprawl continued and left Ridgedale behind for decades. Today the area is beginning to get some of the overflow from the restoration happening in the Highland Park Community, and it also sports the Barking Legs Theater, which regularly hosts music and dance events, It also has a community garden on East Main Street, and city parks on Buckley, 12th Street and Duncan Ave.