|(Please fill in office hours, if appropriate)|
|Cole & Brouchaud of Chico|
The Chico Veterans Memorial Hall is a memorial building on the Esplanade. It may be eligible for listing on the National Register of Historic Places. This building was build in 1926 as a War Memorial Building on the site of what had been John Bidwell’s hay warehouse in the 1880s. By the 1920's, the road, now The Esplanade, was still Chico's major northern axis. Two lots just to the south of the Chico Vecino area and opposite the high school were purchased in 1926 from Mrs. Theresa Purdue for $2,500 by the County Board of Supervisors. A prominent Chico architectural firm of the 1920's, Cole & Brouchaud, was chosen to design the building. Their knowledge of the appropriate interpretation of classic elements is seen in this building as well as in several on the CSU, Chico campus (in early Christian-Byzantine Revival styles). The Veteran's Hall has remained an integral part of the Chico community since its dedication on Veterans' Day 1927.
As of March 26, 2013 when the Butte County Board of Supervisors unanimously approved a lease of the historic Veterans Memorial Hall, it has been the home of the Museum of Northern California Modern Art (MONCA).
|This entry is a seed, a starting point for writing a full entry. You can help LocalWiki Chico by expanding it! Just click the "Edit" button.|
2010-11-17 18:05:11 It has since been left vacant. The County has purchased and refurbished a building being used as the Veterans Memorial Hall located at 554 Rio Lindo Avenue. The "old" Memorial Hall is no longer used. As of 11-17-2010 a web site is being developed to keep interested parties abreast of what is happening in the local Veterans' community. The site ias located at: www.chicoveteranshall.org —220.127.116.11