If you know it's illegal then add it to the list:
- It is unlawful for any person to keep, store, or possess any green hide or any hide giving off an offensive odor. Chico Municipal Code 9.24.010
- Horses are prohibited from sidewalks
- <s>It's illegal to play basketball or any other game in streets, sidewalks, lane or alleys. Chico Municipal Code 9.26.010. This may get a makeover to only cover basketball.</s> It is illegal to set up a basketball hoop in streets if "right of way" problems are created. See ChicoER article.
- A business may not have a "Going Out of Business Sale" unless the business actually goes out of business
- No person shall produce, test, maintain, or store within the city a nuclear weapon, component of a nuclear weapon, nuclear weapon delivery system, or component of a nuclear weapon delivery system under penalty of Chapter 9.60.030 of the Chico Municipal Code.
- Possession of an open container of alcohol on any public sidewalk, street, or park per Chapter 9.30.030 of the Chico Municipal Code.
- Coasting through stop signs on your bike or Bicycling drunk per California Vehicle Code Section 21200
- Chicken coops
- Parking without a permit in the Mansion Park neighborhood
- Urinating or defecating in public
- Salvaging items from dumpsters and recycling bins such as bottles and cans. Chico Municipal Code 8.12.110.
2008-10-12 23:32:15 They say chicken coops are illegal, but I swear I saw a man chasing a dog chasing a chicken through the avenues a couple months ago! —JanTrepin
2009-05-12 14:59:14 Most of the links leaving the wiki are broken. Ill try to track down the correct link. —JohnNash
2009-05-12 16:28:09 Yeah, the City of Chico redid their website a few months ago. Providing that the municipal code doesn't have some kind of draconian copyright, it'd almost be better to put those sections on the wiki. A quick look for copyrights information on the city website only turned up "All graphics, images and photos on this website are the property of the City of Chico and reproduction without written permission is specifically prohibited." So perhaps text can be reproduced ;-) The Chico ER tends to put most of their articles in to pay-per-view hell after a few months which is why I refuse to link to the ER and so I footnote with just article title, name of journalist, date, and paper name. —RyanMikulovsky
2010-08-05 16:06:23 The "salvaging items from dumpsters and recycling bins" thing certainly is never enforced - how else would the city's homeless population earn anything?? —184.108.40.206
2011-01-01 14:01:37 I was specifically told that "salvaging items from dumpsters and recycling bins" was LEGAL when I call CPD this past xmas day when the alley was flooded with people doing this (not the regulars), going all over my and others property. The dispatcher told me to pay attention to my own garbage and not other people's garbage (she was very rude). And then the house next door to me was robbed! So which is it, legal or illegal? I also told the dispatcher about a recycling collector that sits in an alley and reads through every scrap of paper that he has collected in other peoples garbage. Is he possibly getting info for identity theft? Or does he just enjoy sitting for hours reading other people's garbage? —220.127.116.11