|238 Normal Street|
|Third and Normal|
|Chico State Alumni Association|
|(Please fill in office hours, if appropriate)|
|(Name of architect if known here)|
Sapp Hall (also called the Chico State Alumni Building, formerly the Mason-Barnard House and the Mavis Todd Brown House) is the Italianate style house on the northwest corner of Third and Normal in the South Campus Neighborhood. It was listed in the National Register of Historic Places as contributing to the South Campus Historic District in 1991.
It was built in 1884 by Dr. Carnot Courtland Mason. The house is 6,200 square feet.
Dr. Mason was a Chico Normal School committee member, as was Timothy H. Barnard. Barnard bought the house in 1891, after Mason's death.
In the early 1910s, Barnard remodeled the house with the addition of such Classical Revival elements as the column and portico in order to keep up with the fashions in architecture.
Jesse and Mavis Todd Brown bought the house in 1947. Mavis Brown was an art professor at Chico State. She occasionally had gatherings of faculty and alumni at the house. The university began leasing the house in 1987.
The house became the Chico State Alumni Building after the alumni association purchased it in November 1989. On October 17, 1992 the building was dedicated as Ella Caroline Sapp Hall. Sapp was a graduate of Chico Normal School, and an influential educator in the local community. The interior of the house was renovated for office space, and a basement was also added.