Chico wiki has a lot of past Wiki News that has happened over the last several years. This is the place to read about all of the past happenings and progression that the wiki has undertaken since the beginning.
News Since Sycamore Wiki Migration
- May 15, 2009 — About 40 to 45 wiki flyers posted at Chico State just in time for finals week.
- May 12, 2009 — Yet more wiki flyers distributed at Butte College. Feel free to distribute some around Chico if you feel froggy! Also, the Events Board was loaded with upcoming events happening over the next several months. Don't let anyone tell you there's nothing to do in Chico! Know of something coming up? Please add it!
- April 23, 2009 — Butte College received another volley of flyers today. Thus far the three papers mentioned below have shown no interest in reporting on Chico Wiki. Challenge: Write a letter to the editors of local papers to let them know Chico Wiki is an important community resource!
- April 19, 2009 — A press release concerning the fact of Chico Wiki hitting 3000 pages was sent to the Chico ER, Chico News & Review, and The Orion. This was the first go at such an announcement so there may well be room to improve.
- April 19, 2009 — Chico Wiki has reached the 3000 page mark! Thanks to everyone for all the help. Here's to 3000 more!
- April 4, 2009 — Two new fliers have been posted: one half-sheet with handy tear-offs and one quarter sheet that can be useful to place around town at local businesses. Check them out, print them out, then hand them out! At least a couple of Chico Wiki's regular editors have plans to get copies around town in the next week or two, but your help would be fantastic!
- March 25, 2009 — Chico Wiki appeared on Steve Brown's But this is Chico, too NorCal Blog! View article.
- February 13, 2009 — Today Chico State was blasted with flyers. Independent of one another, three wikivangelists, one on his own, went around campus and posted over 100 flyers all over. No student is safe from learning about the Chico Wiki. But that said, please help spread the word by posting your own flyers! Thank a million to those three that posted today. Fantastic!
- January 31, 2009 — Just a quick note that Chico Wiki has, on average, 200 unique hits a day and this figure has been steadily climbing over the last few months. Finally, the wiki has just under 200 more pages to go before it reaches 3000 pages! Of course, a number of these are merely redirects, but this is quite an accomplishment for a core group of editors that can be counted on one hand. Keep up the great work everyone and remember... tell your friends about this wiki and don't be afraid to edit it!
- December 9, 2008 — A dozen wiki flyers were posted at Butte College today. More were posted around the Chico State campus a few days later. This is the season for idle hands — let's have them edit the wiki instead. Please help distribute flyers this holiday season! In other news, we're just 500 shy of 3000 pages (but keep in mind a good number are simply redirects). Great job everyone and keep getting the word out!
- November 3, 2008 — Another milestone in our page counts: Chico Wiki's 2000th Page was created! Way to go!
- September 4, 2008 — Flyers are now going up around Butte College. This weekend, additional flyers will be posted at Chico State. Activity as of late has picked up and that's quite promising! Let's not let up on the wiki flyering! Please help if possible — particularly if you're from Northern or Southern Chico; Chico Wiki very much needs flyers posted in those areas.
- August 29, 2008 — Check out a small Chico Wiki article by RyanMikulovsky in the September edition of Chico Peace & Justice Center's Peaceful Action newsletter. Although the newsletter is primarily mailed to a few hundred locals, it is also available at certain downtown businesses and elsewhere. The latest Peaceful Action should be posted on the center's website shortly. Thanks to the CPJC for letting the wiki reach out to the community!
- August 2, 2008 — Another round of posting flyers around downtown and Chico State (nearly 50 total!) with a new design. See the Wiki Flyer page for the newest design, all of the older ones used so far, and for some inspiration if you want to create one of your own! Go ahead, print off a few for yourself and post them around Chico while you're out and about.
- July 22, 2008 — And we finally made it! Chico Wiki's 1000th Page was created! Great work, everyone!
- May 20, 2008 — Another milestone in our page count! Today Chico Wiki hit 750 pages! We are quickly closing in on the elusive 1000 page count. To everyone who has been contributing, thanks a lot and keep up the good work!
- May 15, 2008 — Wikispot has given Chico Wiki the honor of being their second ever Featured Wiki, which gives us a prominent place on their front page, and hopefully a little more publicity. Thanks to everyone who has contributed and helped Chico Wiki grow!
- May 10, 2008 — 28 flyers were posted throughout the Chico State campus! It's a new flyer too, one that takes a page right out of history from the Davis Wiki. Thanks StaceyEllis!! Up next: Butte College. Both versions (and more!) have already been posted, so feel free to print off some more of your own to post!
- April 5, 2008 — A few flyers were posted in high traffic downtown areas today. These flyers have different verbiage and have neat little tear offs! Perhaps you can print a few off and post some in your neck of the woods? And perhaps you've noticed the amazing amount of work being done on this site — but this is a never ending information resource — so please fire up your fingers and help write about Chico! Of course, here's a huge thanks to everyone that has contributed big and small over the last year!
- March 8, 2008 — This past week, flyers have been posted at Butte College (~5 flyers) and Chico State (~6 flyers). As always, please continue to spread the word about Chico's community wiki!
- March 2, 2008 — The chicowiki.org domain has been successfully transferred to another registrar. The site should now be far more reliable.
- February 7, 2008 — We just reached our 500th page on ChicoWiki! Let's all celebrate by writing even more!!!
- On January 16, 2008, ChicoWiki began to get the word out around town! Please help us out if you can by word of mouth or distributing flyers. See our first Wiki Flyer.
- ChicoWiki is getting a healthy dose of new articles! Won't you join us?
- 2007-11-12 I'm encouraged by some recent additions to the wiki by, presumably, citizens of Chico. I've not done any marketing whatsoever, so it's a bit my fault that things have been so dreadfully slow. Want to help out? E-mail email@example.com let's talk. — RyanMikulovsky
- 2007-6-1 In addition to many other new pages and other updates, I have uploaded a possible logo to be used on printed material (such as flyers). See Logos. — RyanMikulovsky
- 2007-5-28 A bunch of templates have been deposited for easy page creation. Enjoy! - RyanMikulovsky
- 2007-5-10 A small lull just before finals begin... so I (RyanMikulovsky) have filled in a few more pages. Hopefully we've enough that no one will want to try and recreate a Chico Wiki elsewhere; fragmentation is bad!
- 2007-4-3 Chico Wiki is now officially hosted on http://wikispot.org. See their press release. Great job guys!
- 2007-2-8 Logo is evolved.
- 2007-1-14 We've moved to Sycamore Wiki platform! A HUGE thanks to PhilipNeustrom for inviting and hosting Chico Wiki. There are still a lot to be done, but it should all be considerably easy now that we're far removed from all those goofy MoinMoin quirks (such as require white space in tables) Cheers!
- 2007-1-14 As of today, any pages that could be confused between CSU Chico and Butte College (such as campus buildings), will have a specific prefix: CSU Chico or Butte College. For example, if there happened to be a building of the same name on each campus named Science Building, the titles would then be CSU Chico Science Building and Butte College Science Building. If there are no conflicts between campuses, then the prefix may be omitted unless greater clarity is desired. Hopefully this will make the headers on these sorts of pages convey all the right information.
News Prior to Sycamore Wiki Migration (2006)
The following items help to preserve some of Chico Wiki's history. A lot of this news does not apply to the Sycamore Wiki platform.
14 December 2006
- We've had a few wonderful people make contributions to the Wiki. Here's hoping there's a lot more to come!
- If anyone was or is considering creating a Wiki for Chico with the same objective as this one, please get in touch. Let's work together!
10 December 2006
Automatic Pagename above editbar, and editbar to its immediate right.
Post flyers to popularize the website.
Properly implement a Google Map processor/parser for MoinMoin.
Display full images in a Wiki "tab" instead of a pop-up (people block those!).
Make it even easier to post to Events.
Continue face-lift and simplification activities with site theme.
Rename CS_* and BCC_* to "Chico State *" and "Butte College *"
9 December 2006
- I have made a few cosmetic changes to the wiki, including a better set of icons from the monomoin theme. Enjoy. — RyanMikulovsky
8 December 2006
- I have added an Events board. Click a day on the calendar, fill it in, and save. Easy as pie. You can even add flyers or graphics. For now, the page will show the first 25 events. Have fun. — RyanMikulovsky
6 December 2006
- Oh, logins are not required. However, there are bots that spam unsavory links periodically. I'll try to blacklist the IPs as they happen. The reason I do not want a login required is that sometimes someone might have a "fix" or other minor addition but really has no interest in contributing regularly. This polic y allows such wonderful people to contribute easily. Remember that even if you don't quite understand wiki syntax, someone will happily clean it up. You may also use the WikiSandBox to experiment with wiki syntax. — RyanMikulovsky
3 December 2006
- Briefly, I took the Wiki offline. I'll try a different technique to popularize the website. Let us see how it works! Last, this website will likely be moving to a new, higher powered server within the next few months. So try to ignore the occasional slow down. — RyanMikulovsky
29 October 2006
- Chico Wiki has a domain: http://www.cityplaza.org.
- Chico Wiki may move to SycamoreWiki — http://projectsycamore.org/
15 October 2006
- Finally added a few pictures for Butte Community College. Converted some older Thumbnail macros into Thumbplus. — RyanMikulovsky
8 October 2006
- Spam is a big problem for a lot of wikis. So, as a preemptive measure, I have decided that registration should be required. I'm sure there are spambots out there than can figure out the log-in methods, but they're certainly not common.
7 October 2006
- Made a preliminary logo so that the site is a bit more... alluring. The tree is based on the city seal and is a recreation of mine. I'm sure there are features about it that set it apart. I want to put a tree squirrel on it. Anyway, it is in .svg so if anyone wants to have a go at it... I also set theme (slight modified) to a forced default. — RyanMikulovsky
3 October 2006
- ChicoWiki is likely to change into ChicoPedia very soon. A new home for it is almost ready. In the meantime, ChicoWiki no longer defaults to the FrontPage but instead to Chico Wiki. This makes it more friendly to search engines and people. It will, of course, likely change to ChicoPedia in the near future. A Copyrights page has been added (see bottom of page for link). - RyanMikulovsky
30 September 2006
- Filled in Butte Community College pages. It's a bit backwards that I dealt with CSU Chico pages first and not the college I actually attend. More information and pictures will come later this week! - RyanMikulovsky
28 September 2006
- This project is still active — However, RyanMikulovsky has been too busy to explore Chico to properly add more content.
- In other news, there was an ad hominem assault on the frontpage. The frontpage should really only be writable for admins, so that is now the case.
10 September 2006
- Published some more pages that are linked from the main menu. A few pages utilizes include macros to help prevent duplication of work (see Downtown and Restaurants). More brains and hands are needed!
16 August 2006
- Implemented the simple macro MapThis. This takes a Chico address (not any other address!) and outputs plain text and a link. It will only accept a street number and a street name! The macro format is:
[[MapThis(801 Main St)]]
- Implented proper thumbnailing support. Now users can upload a photo as an attachment and have it thumbnailed and aligned appropriately. Do not use the Thumbnail macro. Instead, use ThumbPlus — this is the new version. Usage follows:
Format: [[ThumbPlus(imagefilename, width, "caption", right or left)]] Example: [[ThumbPlus(wikisomebeautifulimage_one.jpg, 200, "This is a really pretty image", right)]]
15 August 2006
19 July 2006
- Chico Wiki at chico.distortions.net is live!