Chico is full of places to photograph and therefore the potential for great images around here is fantastic. There are the classic brick buildings of Chico State, the wildflowers and wildlife of both Lower Bidwell and Upper Bidwell and the architecture of the city.
This page will contain some resources for those of you wishing to take pictures, to develop yours, or even to find a photographer for an event, ceremony or just to get a photo to put up in your house. Chico State is one of the few public colleges in California who offers Photography as a major, so I hope the reception on this page will be large.
Places to take photos
These are just a few of the places to take photos in Chico, if you have anymore that are not associated with these, please add the link below.
Buying a Camera
Before you can start taking pictures, you have to have the camera to do it. Though decent pictures can be taken with devices like the iPhone, nothing will beat a real camera. This is a list of some places you can buy a camera in the City of Chico. If you know of another, please include them below.
- Longs Drugs - Offers point and click cameras, mostly digital but some 35mm as well.
- Rite Aid - Offers point and click cameras, mostly digital but some 35mm as well.
- Best Buy - Has a selection of Point and Click cameras and a small selection of DSLRs.
- Walmart - Has a selection of Point and Click cameras and occasionally a selection of DSLRs.
- Kmart - Has a selection of Point and Click cameras and occasionally a selection of DSLRs.
Developing your Film/Printing your Pictures
Though the use of 35mm film is way down, many people still use it. People also still need to get the pictures developed and this list should have some decent recommendations of where to go. Please add more if you know of them.
- Longs Drugs - Most stores offer 35MM developing for color film and will send out B&W. Stores also offer instant, one hour and 3-5 day printing services. Some stores offer poster printing.
- Rite Aid - Most stores offer 35MM developing for color film and will send out B&W. Stores also offer instant, one hour and 3-5 day printing services.
- Walmart - Has a one-hour and multiple day service.
Chicoans with photography sites
Let other people see your art! Link to flickr, a personal website, picassa and more.
Studios/People Offering Photography as a Service
These are the people to contact if you need family photos, graduation photos, senior pictures, weddings and more.
- JohnNash offers all forms of photography (weddings, grads, seniors, families) at his site: http://www.thesilentspeech.com
Note: Photos on this Page and Others
If you would like to include pictures on this page (or any others!), keep it tasteful and please remember to thumbnail. If you spam your pictures or if they are enormous in size (say, over 1280 pixels in width), an editor may delete them. A good compression ratio for JPEGs is 75%. Please respect the views of others and post a picture that will be viewed as appropriate by everyone. Let's not forget, these images are owned by the photographer, so please do not use them without contacting them first. You may want to caption your images with appropriate copyrights, especially if you do not release your photos under the Creative Commons-By license. See Help with Images to learn how to use images in Chico Wiki. Have fun!
2009-05-03 12:08:22 When did Ritz close? I was just in there a couple months ago. —JohnNash
2009-05-03 18:20:31 The Chico Ritz Camera no longer appears on the Ritz website store locator. It must have recently closed. —MaxLucas