John C. Moss was born on 10 April 1842 in Columbus County, Kentucky. He served in Company H, 55th Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry. After the war, he came to Champaign and opened a barbershop at 51 North Walnut Street. He was a member of Colonel Nodine Post No. 140, GAR. Moss died in his home at 204 East Church Street on 14 July 1906 due to rheumatism and hemorrhage of the lungs. The funeral was held at the Bethel AME Church, with burial at Mt. Hope Cemetery, Urbana.