|512 East Grove St., Champaign, IL 61820|
Monday-Friday: 8:00 am - 5:30 pm
Saturday-Sunday: Programming Only
Open Gym Hours vary, please call.
|Champaign Park District|
|Free service. Facility available for paid rental.|
The Douglass Community Center is equipped with a full-size gymnasium with six basketball goals and a stage. The building is open seven days a week for informal and organized programs and activities.
- In July of 1941 neighborhood residents formed "The Douglass Community Service Center Committee" and had a mass meeting to start fund raising efforts because the black community's need were not being met with the inadequate, segregated facilities which existed at the time.
- By 1943, land adjacent to Douglass Park was acquired through increased efforts by the black community.
- In September of 1943 a second proposal to the federal government for a grant was made. The government agreed to offer $18,500 provided the community could raise an additional $14,500. Funds were raised from various groups including; the black community ($3000), Home and War Chest Organization ($2500), City of Champaign recreation Department ($3500), City of Urbana ($2000), and the remainder filed out by individual donations.
- Ground was broken for the new facility on Feb. 18, 1945
- Original construction cost of the 17,058 sq. ft building was $35,000
- Dedicated Sept. 23, 1945.
Information on Douglass Annex from eBlackCU: http://bit.ly/L71bmf