Welcome to the LocalWiki for Davis, California, USA ! This project is an interconnected community effort to explore, discuss and compile anything and everything about Davis — especially the little, enjoyable things. This entire site is maintained by the people who use it: everyone can edit this website!! You too!
We are experiencing a global pandemic with COVID-19, commonly known as the Coronavirus. California has issued a statewide order to stay at home except for essential activities. Yolo County has started to report confirmed cases.
Email of City of Davis, April 1, 2020: "Yolo County has extended the countywide health order for residents to shelter in place through May 1. This extension is in line with the timeframes of recent federal directives and local school closure extensions and is intended to continue to slow the spread of novel coronavirus (COVID-19). The original health order that was issued on March 18 only extended to April 7."
Kind but serious warning: please do not attend any religious meetings, unless you want to be the center of spreading virus, not joy. READ
Google created maps to show how serious the “social distancing” is being taking everywhere around the globe. Yolo County is displayed too. Draw your own conclusions. Moreover, email of City of Davis April 3, 2020, : “Due to COVID-19, all play structures, exercise equipment, water fountains and sports courts are now closed and not available for use. These areas cannot be adequately sanitized for your family’s protection. Thank you for your cooperation.” So, that could lower the +2% in parks fairly soon.
Something to keep in mind:
More detailed information can be found by visiting the Community Alert page or from any of the following government resources:
- City of Davis: Local updates and city guidelines
- Yolo County Health & Human Services: Information on confirmed cases in Yolo County and county directives
- State of California: Information on confirmed case in California and state executive orders
- California COVID-19 response: Detailed instructions for statewide stay at home order
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention: Federal government resources and confirmed national cases
- Entertainment, Night Time, Music Scene, Dancing, Media, Noteworthy Published Authors
- Art, Art Galleries, Museums, Town Art, Local Artists, Urban Art, Photography, Crafts
- Payphone Project, Cows
- Schools, Research & Development, Libraries, Study Spots
- Outdoor Activities, Exercise, Gyms, Sports
- Shopping Centers, Salons and Barbers, Bookstores, Gift Shops
- Clothing Stores, Laundry & Drycleaning
- Living Cheaply, Discounts and Freebies
- Medical Services, Social Services
- Banks, Tax Services, Legal Services
- Religious and Spiritual Organizations, Support Groups
- Singles Scene, Dating, Parenting, Senior Citizens
- Memorials, Volunteer Opportunities, Bathrooms
- Classified Ads, Lost Pets, Wiki Community
- Davis Wish List, Bizarro Davis, Zombie Attack Response Guide
- Townies, Town Flora, Town Fauna
- Supermarkets & Grocery Stores, International Foods, Convenience Stores
- Restaurants, Coffee Shops, Buffets, Cheap Food, Breakfast, Lunch Specials
- Solo Dining Options, Vegetarian Options, Vegan Options
- Town History, Historic Places, Glossary, Breaking News
- Weather, Environment, Geography, Davis at a Glance, Maps
- Social Structures, Organizations, Davis Politics, Media, People
- Navigating Davis, Downtown, Central, North, East, South, West, Streets, Outskirts, Parks, Gardens, Greenbelts UC Davis Campus
- Transportation, Driving in Davis, Automobiles, Gas Stations, Covell vs. Cowell, Bicycling in Davis, Davis without a car
- Rental Housing Guide, Residences, Apartments, Cooperative Housing, Real Estate, Hotels
- Crime, Davis Police Department, Fire Department
- Campus, Campus Buildings, Dorms, Arboretum
- Spots And Places, Sleeping On Campus
- Campus Art
- University Construction
- Colleges, Professional Schools
- Student Organizations, ASUCD, GSA, LSA, KDVS, The California Aggie
- Administrative Officers
- Getting the most out of your student fees
The Davis Farmers Market is a must-see for any visitor and a weekly tradition for many residents.
The market is at Central Park, at Fourth and C Streets downtown, rain or shine, and is a Certified Farmer's Market... everything sold in the market is either grown or made by the seller, including certified organic produce, fresh baked goods, flowers, and many other quality products. Sample delicious fruit while mingling with vendors and neighbors. The Yolo County Health Department's "no dogs" policy is strictly enforced in the pavilion area.
The Aggie ran a news story about the Davis Wiki on February 25th. However, since students are free to publish anything on these pages, it is essential to remember that student newspapers are not consistently reliable, up-to-date sources of hard facts and cannot be taken entirely at face value.
Some pages dedicated to issues of interest:
- 2018 City Council Election
- Turkey Menace
- Banning leaf-blowers
- UC Davis Budget Cuts and online courses
- Alternative Instructional Model (AIM)
- Bringing Fiber Internet to Davis
And some issues that are no longer "hot":
Please edit this page and add your own picture! Instructions for changing the mystery picture are available in the "info" page for this page.
2014-12-26 Oh my god, so many changes. Read about them over here!
Check out the archive for older news....
Check out the discussion for commentary on the news...