We’re having a California Student Sustainability Coalition Convergence this November!! Find out more information here! http://www.sustainabilitycoalition.org/fall-2014-convergence/
Hosted locally by the CSSC at UC Davis, November 14th to 16th 2014. Join hundreds of students from across CA to build community, share resources, plan action, attend workshops, and celebrate. Registration is free for all UC Davis students!
Convergences are two day events hosted each Fall and Spring during which students from across California gather to build community, share resources and best practices, plan action, attend workshops, celebrate, and actively collaborate on campus policies, research projects, and curriculum. Over the past 7 years, CSSC’s bi-annual Convergences have grown to play an integral role in the sustainability movement in California, by bringing together thousands of student leaders from over 50 academic institutions.
There might be a few thoughts passing through your head and here’s the answer to some of them:
1) What is a Convergence? A convergence is a large gathering of like-minded individuals who come to learn, share and celebrate sustainability over a weekend.
2) When is this shindig? November 14th to 16th, 2014
3) Who comes to these things? Students from UCs, CSUs, CCCs, private schools, and some high schoolers who are passionate about sustainability, sharing the skills they have, justice on all levels including environmental and social, learning new things and being part of a greater community.
By attending CSSC Convergences, you'll join our statewide community of campus sustainability leaders. This network has amazing benefits including:
- Access to a California-wide network of support, including resources, skills, and partners
- Discovering new ideas for transforming your campus and community
- Developing your leadership by sharing your experiences
- Forging valuable, life-long friendships and professional connections
We, the Convergence planning team, have decided to center the convergence around the theme Act Collectively, Transition Together: Systems for Justice. We agreed that this theme is strong because it doesn't solely address environment, but also emphasizes a collective, conscious movement especially when CSSC's approach to sustainability equally values social, economic, and environmental justice. With this theme, we can build our Convergence on the questions: What are we transitioning to? What does the transition look like? Who is actively participating in this transition?. The CSSC chapter at UC Davis believes that this theme will help us form a community of education and action surrounding issues of injustice, developing and adding to existing dialogues of systematic change.
- Inspiring Speakers
- Provocative Panels
- Interactive Workshops
- Community Building and Networking
- Collaboration, Resource Sharing, Action Planning
- Saturday Evening Celebration
- Delicious Local Vegetarian Food
- Climate Issues
- Community Organizing
- Curriculum, Education, Research
- Energy Efficiency/Alternative Energy
- Food Systems and Agriculture
- Fundraising, Grant Writing
- Green Building, Campus Operations and Green Housing
- Green Business Practices, Green Economy
- Greening Your Career
- Institutionalizing Sustainability
- Leadership Skill Building
- Organizational Development
- Social Equity
- Socially Responsible Investing
- Waste Reduction, Composting, Recycling
- Water, Landscaping, and Site Stewardship
REGISTER AND/OR SUBMIT A WORKSHOP PROPOSAL! http://www.sustainabilitycoalition.org/register-to-attend-and-workshop-application/
The California Student Sustainability Coalition (http://www.sustainabilitycoalition.org), our partner in this project hosts events like these twice a year and has a complete description on this page (http://www.sustainabilitycoalition.org/projects/statewide-student-convergences). Also, you can email any other questions to Madeline ([email protected]), Kevin Gong ([email protected]), or Emili ([email protected]).