Internationals and people of non-European ethnicity arriving in Davis may find themselves a bit desperate to identify places to purchase familiar foods and items. Considering Davis' demographics, these same individuals may be interested in networking information and organizations that can provide assistance with visa requirements and housing. Of necessity, much of this information will include Sacramento resources unless our local economy grows to the point of providing a well-rounded selection.
Services & Organizations
- Davis Chinese Christian Church
- Davis Korean Church
- International House acts as an information and social clearinghouse for Internationals living in Davis.
- Services for International Students & Scholars can provide visa information and assistance for UC Davis affiliates
- Southeast Asians Furthering Education
- Travel Agencies
Food & Groceries
see Ethnic Markets and Restaurants
- Cost Plus World Market Non-perishable food stuff from around the world
- International Food Market Middle Eastern groceries, videos, & phone cards
- Kim's Mart Asian (including Japanese, Thai, & Korean) groceries, phone cards & miscellanea
- Nugget offers a limited selection of Asian foods and a somewhat broader selection of Mexican items
- Safeway offers a limited selection of Asian and Latin foods
- Tapioca Drinks
- Tian Tian Market Asian groceries
- Cost Plus World Market Gift items and food stuff from around the world
- De Colores Latin American gift items
- de Luna Jewelers offers southwest and Native American gift items in addition to jewelry
- Samira's offers some Middle Eastern jewelry
- Tibet Nepal sells Tibetan Nepalese goods including clothing, religious objects, and jewelry
International Calling Cards
If you're not using a VoIP like Skype, most international stores in the area carry calling cards that will give you low rates on overseas calls.
- Davis Food Co-op sells calling cards, but the international rates seem higher than those offered elsewhere in town.
- International Food Market
- Kim's Mart
- Student Phone Cards online phone cards, instant PINs, and rechargeability
Newspapers, Magazines and Reading Material
Whereas Spanish-language reading materials can be found in most local grocery and drug stores, other languages are harder to come by.
- The Davis Public Library has a variety of reading materials, for both children and adults, in different languages. Additional titles are available from the other library branches.
- Newsbeat sells a limited number of publications in French, German, Farsi, and Italian