The idea of the Featured Page is to highlight a good or otherwise interesting article.
Writeups ("On Deck")
Write up a short hook, include an appropriate image, and post it here! Then we can edit it to perfection and post it. The photos should be scaled down to around 320 pixels for the largest dimension. Once there are some good ideas feel free to change the Featured Page!
Note especially the part about the "short hook." The featured page isn't meant to tell the whole story; it's meant to "hook" the reader to click on the page where the fuller story can be told.
Proposed new writeup:
The City of Davis has let go of our tree crew! Immediately following the passage of Measure D, city manager Steve Pinkerton announced the dismissal of Davis' only tree crew. These fellows not only maintained the city's 18,000 trees, they also "hang and remove the banner on B st., install owl boxes, installing the Christmas tree on E st., hanging ornaments, removing ornaments, dispose of Christmas tree, installing reflective tape on structure at the train depot, help install and remove antennas on towers that were too tall to reach, install cable on a flag pole for the bomb squad, [and] deliver wood chips for volunteer projects". Pinkerton has promised further cuts in city staff, which will presumably result in a further reduction in services the city provides.
- The page needs a photo before it becomes a featured page.
- This seems like a good image for that blurb.
- Yes, that could work.
- The Trees page itself needs photos. Should we just take some from pages like these and add them to Trees?
- That's a good idea. —cp
Previous & Current Featured Pages
- Old Man Whiskers!!!
- DAVIS DEADLY DERBY
- Urban Art
- Payphone Project
- Good Ideas for Dates
- Michael Dugas
- Sword and Sandals
- Frog signs
- Winter 2005 ASUCD Election
- Town Wildlife
- Spring time theme: The Quad and Parks
- Rental Housing Guide
- Fistulated Cow
- Picnic Day — annual major event
- KDVS Fundraiser — annual major event
- Town Flora
- Whole Earth Festival — annual major event
- University Construction
- Adventures Outside of Davis
- Study Spots
- Hot Sauce
- Stephen Robinson
- Donation to Red Cross (for Hurricane Katrina)
- Spooky Places (Halloween themed)
- Fall 2005 ASUCD Election — annual major event
- Thanksgiving themed page
- Robotmedia showcase on Dec 3.
- Bananas hanging from tree
- The Jagged Tree
- Valetines Day theme — annual major event
- Saint Patricks Day — annual major event
- Morning Glory Spillway
- Red Light Cameras
- Picnic Day 2006 — annual major event
- KDVS Fundraiser — annual major event
- West Coast AAU Junior Olympic Games
- Expired Campus Elevator Permits
- Whole Earth Festival — annual major event
- Dumpster Diving
- Second Street Crossing
- 2006 City Council Election/Questions to candidates
- June 2006 Primary Election — annual major event
- July 4th Fireworks
- Disc Golf
- West Nile Virus
- California State Fair — annual major event
- Open Container Ordinance
- Bike Circle & Traffic Circle
- November 2006 Election
- ASUCD Mock Election 2006
- Fall 2006 ASUCD Election
- Tank House
- Dogs — 2006.12.15, revision 604 (reusable)
- The Domes
- Bike tunnels
- Save the bike church
- Bicycle tips
- Dixie the Dinosaur
- Moving day
- Winter 2009 ASUCD Election
- Odd Fellows
- Banning Leaf-Blowers
- Wiki Pledge Drive/Events
- Wiki BBQ May 7 2011
- 2012 City Council Election
- Fountains: — KenBloom
- The Saddest Fountain
- Square fountain by ATM machines
- MU Patio Fountain
- Cow Fountain
- Central Park fountain
- The fountain at E Street Plaza
- I'm guessing there's a fountain at Fountain Circle - Unfortunately the complex doesn't have one
- Poox — shows how much Davis residents love their pets.
- Critical Mass — We have some cool photos already. Plus, it would be neat to see if a little front-page promotion could push this into a bigger and bigger event.
- WhymCycles is very "Davis" and also really colorful. — JabberWokky
- Students for an Orwellian Society, but probably wait until a time when the club is more active again. —The Labster
- Choice Voting and how it works would be great sometime before November. MikeSiminitus
- Comfy Chairs would be a good featured page if someone took some pictures. - ArlenAbraham Pictures taken! -WesHardaker
- Disc Golf would be a good featured page, but maybe I'm bias. - JanelleAlvstadMattson
- It's summer time and most everybody's got a frisbee — but few have probably played on these courses..Maybe that kind of spin?
- Fruit and Vegetable stands — maybe needs a bit more text?
- Human Powered Housing Project — needs slightly more descriptive text, despite the fact a photo's worth a thousand words
- Emma Goldman Institute for Anarchist Studies — Needs a bit more info, I think. But it's nifty!
- Moving Day — Seems like an obvious choice come late August.
- Unique Vehicles or perhaps one of its more specific pages, such as Little Green Electric Car
- Expired Campus Elevator Permits — Maybe we'll attract some positive attention and get new permits. — ArlenAbraham
- Shelly Bailes and Ellen Pontac — The next time a relevant date comes around (Pride Day, etc) — jw
- Airsoft — just needs a photo of some people playing, maybe some more text
- Buffets — needs photo
- Vegetarian Options — needs photo, awesome page
- Forties — funny page, prone to being out of date, but might want to feature it while it's still up to date
- Pizza — Needs a main photo, but there are many photos of pizza on the establishment pages. Needs a bit more prose to balance the 'data'
- All-Nighters — student-centric, but still pretty good
- Chiles Mansion — As an undergrad, I'd never heard about this. It's a really interesting and depressing story. Might need a photo and some other editor contributions
- Davis Judo Team — Well written, loads of pretty pictures, and not obvious if you're not actively looking for them.
- Tank House — Interested to figure out what that things is. This page has since had a lot of information added to it. It's a delightful and interesting read, has photos, and I think is a perfect candidate for a featured page —PhilipNeustrom
- Toasts — would be a good one for the holiday season!
- Christmas — another seasonal option
- Downtown — Lots of new people in Davis at the moment, lets make it nice for them?
- Household Hacker — Awesome, hilarious videos and at least one of the guys lives in Davis!
2011-05-12 14:59:59 JabberWokky has suggested featuring some long-time Davis businesses as featured pages. I like the idea a lot. What are some good criteria for picking them? I'd suggest the following as a few criteria: 1) At least 10 years old (opened in 2001 or before); 2) Have a good, interesting history written up on the page. Could be info on the people involved, the location(s), events there, whatever. Something that makes it an informational page for Davis, not just for the business itself. Thoughts?
The second thing is obviously to come up with some good options. ACE Hardware is a fairly interesting one. Hibbert Lumber and Redwood Barn Nursery could both be great candidates if they get filled out a bit more. The Graduate is a true Davis institution... the writeup is a bit of a mess, but with some work, and especially with a few phone calls to get some more historical information, it could become a perfect candidate. Delta of Venus also looks like a good option. —TomGarberson
2011-05-12 16:49:06 For Delta, I noticed there were no photos of the interior, so I took some... also shot photos of all the chalk menu boards. I'll be going through my photos tomorrow. —JabberWokky
2012-03-04 23:14:42 As important as the protests are, I think with elections, Picnic Day and other things approaching, it might be time to consider when to move forward with the Featured Page. —JabberWokky
- I have been thinking the same thing. The protests continue and the issues are still important, but they are no longer center stage and other topics deserve attention as well. We could do a quick switch for the election, which ends tomorrow, and then segue to Picnic Day. (Or plastic bags. :) ). —CovertProfessor
- I agree as well. Time to switch to another topic. —SimonFung
- Well, the dramapocalypse is nigh. The big report on the pepper spray incident will be released. Tomorrow will be interesting. —WilliamLewis
2012-04-04 10:51:06 Dental Questions tomorrow? —JabberWokky
- Sure. —cp
2012-07-11 17:13:31 Maybe I'll put up a local video contest as a featured page? The election is kind of old news. —JeffShaw
- Rule #1: The featured page should feature a page. If there were a detailed page to feature, of which the local video contest was a part, that would be cool. —CovertProfessor
2013-03-28 13:11:36 Time for a new featured page — ideas? —CovertProfessor
2013-05-30 13:35:18 I'd like to elect dumpster diving as the next featured page. Its a page, not an event. —jefftolentino
2016-02-26 21:30:06 Definitely time for a new page. Picnic day 2015 has come and gone many moons ago... —DavidGrundler
2016-05-09 14:38:43 http://www.westkingdom.org/as51/may/windy-meads-archery-hunt-and-novelty-shoot It's more of an event, but it gives an excuse to link to Archery, History, Yolo Grasslands and the SCA. Plus it's a lesser known local event (don't worry - the targets of this "medieval hunt" are all foam). —JabberWokky