The Davis Photography Club is for photographers of any skill level.
Things we do in photography club are:
- Explore the manual controls of cameras
- Share images and techniques with each other
- Explore toy cameras and lomographic aesthetics
- Talk about gear (electronic/digital and chemical/film)
- Take trips to cool places, socialize, and then shoot everything
- Make homemade pinhole cameras for each other and play with them
- Find cool, odd cameras at flea markets and show them off to each other
- Hold fun photo competitions, akin to photographic scavenger hunts, and then socialize
- Take lots and lots and lots of pictures.
A stash of photos from members, is located at flickr group.
Recently, the club has not held any public meetings, outings, or events and remains fairly inactive. You can fix this by helping to organize new events.
You also may wish to check out the Photography Club at UC Davis for information about the student photography club on campus.
How the Club works
- General Information is here on the wiki
- Discuss and Plan on the yahoo groups email list.
- Post photos, a suggested place is on Flickr where you can tag your images to the group.
- We don't have formal meetings times, officers or any other organization beyond the 3 points above. Email the list if you have other ideas.
No activity since 2009 found — neither on the Yahoo group nor on the Flicker pool that replaced it. There is a website for "The Photography Club Of Davis California" which is currently active (as of 2013), but I don't think that is the same group.
Last Meetings (2009)
Want to meet?
- just propose a time,
- and don't forget to email the list.
It's up to you to call a meeting/photography expedition, you are responsible for getting something out of the club. A discussion page can be found here if you want to talk to other members. See Photography Club/New Meeting Discussion
Prior Meetings (2006-2008)
- Wednesday, January 31 at Cafe Roma by Campus at 4PM. Jared, Shane, and Andrew attended.
- Wednesday, February 7 at Cafe Roma by Campus at 4PM. Jared and Andrew attended and walked to Kerr hall to photograph the abandoned interior. Andrew's pictures are Here. Jared's pictures are Here.
- Wednesday, February 14 at Cafe Roma by Campus at 4PM. Jared, Amanda, and Andrew went through the Death Star and took pictures.
- Wednesday, April 4 at Ciocolat at 5:30PM. New location since Roma is now closed. :(
- Friday, July 13th, 6pm at the new downtown location of Peet's Coffee. Alex, Jeff, Jennifer, Michele walked over to look at a barn owl roosting in plain site near Bistro 33.(Alex's pictures)
- Sunday, Sept. 16, at 5pm, at Peets coffee downtown. Alex, Jeff & Jennifer took a walk in the Arboretum(Alex's $ hummingbird shot)
Sunday, September 30th, 4:30pm. Meet up at Peet's coffee downtown. Bring a camera and a bike, as we will likely go shooting somewhere. Prior meetings from earlier years can be found here
Please add your name to this list if you're interested in meeting on a regular basis (anybody can do it!):
- Philip Neustrom
- Allison Corrington
- Devon Latzen
- Andrew Leonard
- Fariborz Omid Sarvian
- Kayvan Farzaneh
- Christopher Tran
- Simon Fung
- Naresh Dugal
- Jasmine Othman
- Jessica Bloom
- Drew Kimzey
- Greg Hirson
- Craig Brozinsky
- Jen Dockter
- Michelle Yeung
- Mike Kim
- Gregory Thrasher
- Nick Schmalenberger
- Mark Bosler
- Marie Huynh
- John Dudek
- Tojo Andrianarivo
- Brett Randolph
- Michelle Accurso
- Amanda O'Rourke
- Deva Chan
- Lindsay Hartman
- AlexMandel if someone reminds me when a meeting is coming.
- DanWillenbring is interested if someone signs him up for some sort of email reminders
- Jeff Tolentino
- John Ziebro
- Quan Yin
- Ted Buehler
- Wes Hardaker
- Jeff Austin
- Tina La
- Derek Chow
- Keerith Singh
- Chris Fullmer
As of 08/2007 we have a new yahoo list: [email protected] , http://groups.yahoo.com/group/davisphotoclub
- Anyone can join
- Email any of the admins if you want to be an admin, hopefully if everyone is an admin we'll never lose access to the list.
- Why Yahoo Groups you ask, well yahoo owns flickr and at some point we hope they get their act together and merge a little more. As for UC Davis lists, it was to hard to keep it going with the whole needing a student to be the admin requirement, in fact that's the problem this summer.
Old list info -> Club Listproc was used. If you were on the old list and want new updates, please add yourself to the new yahoo list.
Suggested ideas for meeting plus ...
- Printing out out best photos and presenting them in a public forum
- Photo Contest with crowd judging at a RobotMedia Showcase
- We got the ok, now we need
- Judges to cut down the entries to 10ish
- A way to collect photos
- Pick a showcase to target(spring?)
- Whole Earth Festival Booth - Deadline to apply will be coming up soon.
- World's Largest Bicycle Parade on March 1st, how many photographers on bikes can we get?
- Photoshop tutorials/GIMP tutorials
- On-campus room for meetings
- A room with contolled lighting conditions
- Getting SPAC money??
- Selling photos on microstock photo sites like istockphoto.com, shutterstock.com, fotolia.com ... (the list continues).
- Future trip ideas:
- Muir Woods
- Marin Headlands
- Angel Island
- Mare Island
Some old comments regarding meeting arrangements have been moved to a discussion page located here.
2005-12-22 02:03:50 How about taking a couple pictures of the Davis Psychic over the break? Pretty please? —KarlMogel
2006-05-21 12:17:11 http://www.pbase.com/jay22000066/yosemite_trip —ZheXu
2007-08-09 11:37:25 How about some photos of the club itself? Kind of ironic that there are none on this entry.
- Ok, i posted one. Oddly enough, we don't have many shots of photo club. We get so busy shooting other stuff, we forget to shoot each other. Will try to get more in the future though. — jefftolentino
2007-10-17 23:20:33 How about a meeting Saturday Oct. 20, 2:00P.M. at Petes downtown. I think that is where the last one was. I am new to the club and I live in Vacaville so I am not that familiar with Davis but I sure I can sniff out a Petes.
I have several used computers that are capable of running Photoshop and I would be interested in donating one to the club if it would be of use.
You must be logged in to comment on this page. Please log in.