|(Various Locations around Davis)|
As of January, 2012, The Davis Gleaning Project appears not to be active. Harvesters are welcome at Village Harvest, another local organization with a similar mission.
The Davis Gleaning Project (DGP!) WANTED: FRUIT TREES and VEGGIE PLANTS.
The Davis Gleaning Project wants to pick your fruit tree...
Who are we?
- We are a group of students and community members focused on redistributing food that would otherwise be wasted
What do we do?
- We visit folks in Yolo County who want their fruit trees picked or have a particularly prolific garden and harvest the food that would normally drop to the ground and go uneaten. Our goal is to connect points of excess to points of scarcity.
Where does the food go?
- Most food goes directly to the Food Bank of Yolo County. A portion of the food is taken by gleaning volunteers to feed their families and friends.
Why is it awesome?
- We are using healthy and abundant food to connect and build our community around principles of sustainability and team work.
How can you get involved?
- To become gleaners, get gleaned, or share other resources contact us at [email protected]
- We're happy to only pick half your tree and/or pick a box for you! Even if your fruits aren't ripe now, drop us a line so we can start a conversation! And yes, we glean zucchinis and cabbage too.
As of Summer, 2009, the Gleaning Project is collaborating with Village Harvest.