ALWAYS CHECK SOURCES FOR THIS PAGE OR SPEAK WITH A POLICE OFFICER
Denton has a bunch of laws. There's so many. So here's a page for Denton laws made easy.
Grass and weeds higher than twelve (12) inches are not allowed.1Mow your lawn or you get fined a BUNCH OF MONEY!
You basically can not keep livestock or fowl in Denton.2
Vehicles and roads
- The Vulnerable Road User ordinance says that cars must give 3 feet minimum passing distance to pedestrians, cyclists and other vulnerable road users, and commercial vehicles must give 6 feet passing distance. The law also criminalizes harassment of cyclists and right-hook accidents, and it explains that cyclists may ride two abreast as long as they don’t impede reasonable flow of traffic.3
- Park facing the right direction. Or you gonna get fined.4
- Pedestrians must walk on the sidewalk. Or if there isn't a sidewalk, walk on the left side of the highway, or the shoulder of the highway facing oncoming traffic.5
- Cycle as if you are a car, you have the same rights and responsibilities as a motor vehicle. Obey traffic laws, stop signs, traffic lights etc..
- Use the right most lane and the right most portion of that lane that serves your destination. When making a left turn use the left portion or center portion of that lane. If your bike is moving slower than the traffic, you must keep to the right (unless you're turning left or there isn't room for you and a car).6
- Denton's Vulnerable Road User ordinance says that cars must give 3 feet minimum passing distance to cyclists, and commercial vehicles must give 6 feet passing distance. The law also criminalizes harassment of cyclists and right-hook accidents, and it explains that cyclists may ride two abreast as long as they don’t impede reasonable flow of traffic.7
- If there's two of ya, you can ride side by side in one lane, as long as you're not seriously impeding traffic.6
Bicycles must be equipped with a brake capable of making a skid on dry level pavement. Texas Transportation Code
If riding at night, you shall have a light on the front of the bike and at least a red rear reflector. Texas Transportation code. A flashing red light on the back is best. 6
You can cycle on the sidewalk anywhere except the square there are signs posted at each intersection and two block off the square. 8
A person must be 21 years of age to buy alcohol in Texas.
Legal hours for purchase:
- Monday-Friday: 7am-midnight
- Saturday: 7am-1am
- Sunday: noon to midnight9
Consumption and intoxication
In Texas, it is legal to publicly consume alcohol except:
- Monday-Friday: before 7am or after 12:15am
- Saturday: before 7am or after 1:15am
- Sunday: before noon or after 12:15am9
Alcohol must not be consumed from a glass container in Denton, or at least on Fry Street.10
Public intoxication is illegal. Section 49.02 of the Texas Penal Code states: “A person commits an offense if the person appears in a public place while intoxicated to the degree that the person may endanger the person or another.” Public intoxication is a Class C misdemeanor punishable by a fine up to $500.
Consumption of alcohol on Fry Street is legal (during the above hours), provided its not in a glass container.11
- Denton, Texas, Code of Ordinances > Subpart A - CODE OF ORDINANCES > Chapter 6 - ANIMALS > ARTICLE I. - IN GENERAL
- Vulnerable Road User ordinance
- Texas Transportation Code - Section 545.303. Additional Parking Regulations
- Texas Transportation Code - Section 552.006. Use Of Sidewalk
- Texas Statutes
- Vulnerable Road User ordinance
- Denton, Texas, Code of Ordinances, Subpart A, Chapter 24, Article 5, Sec. 24-101
- http://www.cityofdenton.com/departments-services/departments-a-f/code-enforcement/what-is-a-violation A list of some common laws that people unknowingly break all the time.