- The Denton Downtown Square (commonly called The Square by locals) is Denton's largest social center. At its center stands the old Courthouse on the Square, which is Denton's most distinctive landmark, and is surrounded by antique shops, coffee houses, bars, clubs, restaurants, and music venues.
The square has been around since the beginning of time itself; approximately the 1880s.
Buildings and Businesses
The square has businesses on and around it. Many of these buildings are historic. They can be seen in photographs dating back 50 years or more.
List of Businesses
To see the business listed in order see Sides of the Square.
- Beth Marie's - Ice Cream
- Atomic Candy
- Carol's Custom Draperies & Interiors
- Chestnut Tree - Cafe
- Downtown Mini Mall
- Downtown Mini Mall 2
- Jupiter House - Cafe
- Jovian Minds - Game Developer
- Mad World Records - Vinyl, CDs, DVDs, shirts
- McBride - music pawn shop
- Recycled Books Records CDs - Bookstore
- Serendipity On The Square - Shabby Chic furniture, decor & more
- Wells Fargo - Bank
- More Fun Comics & Games - Graphic Novels, Board Games, Etc
- Denton Internet - Office in Opera House
Events happen at the square.
Holiday Lighting Festival
The Holiday Lighting Festival is an event sponsored by the Denton Holiday Festival Association (DHFA). Held on the Thursday following Thanksgiving, this event includes musical and dance presentations, horse drawn carriage rides, children's crafts, and visits with Santa. Live entertainment is provided by Brave Combo. DHFA raises funds from the private sector to purchase holiday street banners, festival lights, and decorations for public buildings and the courthouse.
Every year, there is a wassail festival.
There are often drum circles.