Restaurants and Cafes
Near the Golden Triangle Mall
- Chipotle (2 locations, Mexican)
- Chuy's (Mexican) - Try the Veggie Chimichanga (not vegan); customizable vegan fajitas are available upon request.
- Pei Wei (Asian)
- California Avocado (Now Closed) - brown or white rice vegetable roll; tofu rolls available
- Mi Casita (2 locations) - guacamole tacos and off-the-menu veggie fajitas! (potatoes, bell pepper and onion)
- Buffet King - several vegan options at the Mongolian grill + sometimes vegetable sushi
- Sweet Basil - a few vegetable/curry dishes
Off the Square
- Andaman Thai Restaurant (Thai) - has a huge menu with many vegetarian options, many of which they will happily make vegan
- Banter - Offers vegan chili and lots of really good veggie / vegan options
- Bagheri's Italian Restaurant
- The Cupboard (sandwiches, wraps, salad bar)
- Flatlanders next to Oak St. Draft house has a delicious selection of vegan/vegetarian tacos (Chipotle Tofu, Bella - chickpea pineapple, Avocado and Nopales!)
- Fuzzy's Taco Shop has veggie tacos
- Gerhard' German Restaurant & Bar (Now Closed) vegetarian dishes for lunch and dinner
- Greenhouse Restaurant Mostly Vegeterian with a few Vegan options.
- Jupiter House has Denton Vegan Co-Op vegan bread and baked goods
- Mellow Mushroom has vegan cheese and toppings, and veggie pitas
- Rusty Taco has 3 vegetarian tacos that can be made vegan - black bean (#12), poblano peppers (#6 Rajas), and corn taco (off the menu)
- Seven Mile Cafe - breakfast and stuff, great vegan pancakes
- Siam House (Thai) (Transitioned owners – Now Thai on the Square)
- Viet Bites - (Vietnamese - 2 locations) lots of yummy vegan options including Veggie Pho, Tofu Fries, Bahn Mi and Rice Plates
North Area- Near Hickory Street
- Jimmy John's - has veggie wraps, including gluten free ones
- Big Mike's - has yummy fresh smoothies, soy milk for coffee
- Mr. Chopsticks
- Oriental Garden (Thai)
- Pita Pit (Mediterranean) - veggie options
- Suko Thai II (NOW CLOSED)
- Sushi Cafe (Rolls half off Mon-Thu 3:00PM-4:00PM and Fri-Sun. 5:00PM-7:00PM.
South Area- Near Eagle Drive
- the Bowllery - vegan, vegetarian, and gluten-free friendly bowls that combine cooked and mostly raw vegetables with sauces freshly made from scratch, and served over rice or soba noodles. Plus, vegan soups, salads, and juice.
- Bawarchi Biryani Point (Indian) - has a lunch buffet
- Mr. Chopsticks (Pan-Asian)
- Rasoi (Indian)
- Maple Hall Cafeteria Non-students can dine in the cafeteria for a fee of about 7 bucks.
- Beirut (Mediterranean) - a new restaurant in Denton with lots of delicious vegan options (opened by previous owners of Caesar Island in Corinth)
- Guatelinda (Guatemalan) - The enchilada guate is the go-to vegan option - beets and cabbage on a tostada. Bean and loroco pupusas are vegetarian, and can be made vegan with no cheese. Comes with yummy homemade sauerkraut. Also try the guacamole tostadas and rellenitos (sweet plantain dessert).
- Jasmine's Cafe (Mediterranean) - Many of their products contain chicken stock. Ask your server before ordering.
- Lucky Gal's Tamales
- El Matador (Mexican) - try the street tacos with guacamole or avocado instead of meat – SO GOOD! (Fyi there is bacon in the barracha beans) Also, they have veggie enchiladas, tostadas, and off-the-menu veggie fajitas (squash, broccoli, and/or whatever veggies they find in the kitchen)
- Thai Ocha (Thai)
- Yummy's Greek (Mediterranean)
- I <3 Sushi - Green World Roll and Spring Rolls are vegan
There are several vegetarian guides for the DFW area and the state of Texas that may be useful:
University of North Texas
- The Cupboard is a health foods store with plenty of alternative vegetarian options, as well as a veg friendly cafe in the store.
- Drug Emporium carries a large selection of organic and vegan dry and frozen goods, with the best prices on those items in town.
- Vegan Freak (NOW CLOSED) was a vegan alternative foods store on Elm Street. It opened January 12th, 2011.
- Cross Timbers Co-op offers a wide selection of local and organic produce.
- Will Bend Garden Cooperative - a co-op that provides fresh, organic produce.
- Earthwise Gardens is a local, organic produce company that just opened a new shop between the North branch library and the Howdy Doody.
- Natural Grocers is a chain that opened in 2013 off of University Dr.
- Cardos Farm is a community farm and education center located in Ponder, TX.
A number of vegetarian organizations have come and gone over the years at UNT.
- Denton Vegan Cooperative
- Mean Greens for Animals is a UNT animal rights organization, started by Alexandria Beck in August of 2013.
- The Denton Vegetarian Society, founded in January 2010, is a growing organization of vegans, vegetarians, and foodies in the DFW area.
- The Denton Organic Society devoted to educating both members and the public about organic principles including gardening, landscaping, sustainable land-use, biological pest management, health implications, and lifestyle choices through monthly programs, workshops, and field trips.
- Denton Vegan is a fairly new (2011) vegan blog about Denton.
- Peace Kitchen is a monthly community event held at Cardo's Farm where a free, vegan lunch is provided to all visitors at the farm. Cardo's Farm produces vegetables, eggs, and some dairy.
- Slow Food UNT
- Vegan 101 and Vegan Drinks are DFW organizations that provide opportunities to meet other vegans, south of Denton.
- Mercy for Animals, (No Longer in DFW) a national animal rights organization, organizes leafleting, demonstrations, and meet up events in DFW.
- Animal Connection Texas is a local animal rights organization that is currently campaigning against circuses in DFW.
- Serenity Springs (Now Closed) is the nearest animal sanctuary in Forestburg, TX.
- The Humane League took over Mercy for Animals' place in DFW in early 2013.