The Detroit Internet Club is an amorphous collective founded on Independence Day, July 4th 2011. "Internet" is writ large to encompass all software, computers, digital media, mobile, and online things. DIC is inclusive of everyone in Detroit who is making and doing -- for lack of a better term -- "Internetty Things". Whether you're an artist, programmer, datahead, blogger, organizer, or whatever, if you're putting things online in Detroit you're in Detroit Internet Club.
Let's use this space to start filling in who all's doing what -- a network of networks. I guess a good rule of thumb is to try and keep things roughly alphabetical. If you want to talk about the list or follow along through other channels, there's a Facebook page here and a Twitter here. Please feel free to have at it and give a shout when you've made an update!
Detroit Internet Meetups:
- Ann Arbor New Tech Meetup, 6:30 PM on the third Tuesday or each month at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor
- Detroit Internet Club, woa, meta...
- Mobile Monday, every Monday
- Open Hack Nights at OmniCorpDetroit, every Thursday 8:00 -- 11:00pm. $5 suggested donation.
- Detroit Startup Drinks, meetups happening, still working on site, check Facebook
- Tweetea, every Tuesday at 7:30 at 3 different locations.
- Startup Foundation Detroit
- D-Newtech Meetup
- Grow Detroit bi-weekly meetups
Detroit Internet Startups:
- Detroit Big F Deal - crowdfunding and deals for do-gooders
- Gumshoe - mixed-reality mobile gaming
- LOVELAND Technologies - crowdfunding and mapping
Detroit Internet Organizations (nonprofits, advocacy groups, etc):
- The Detroit Digital Justice Coalition
- Girls In Tech Detroit
- Imagination Station - early stage, working to renovate an historic blighted house into a media center with classrooms and living space for resident technologists
- ¸The Detroit Creative Corridor Center is "designed to support the growth of Detroit’s creative economy by delivering business acceleration and attraction services and developing signature programming tailored specifically to creative professionals’ needs. "
Office Space Tailored To Startups/Tech Companies:
- 2051 Rosa Parks in Corktown - home to Huffington Post's Detroit, Curbed Detroit, Detroit SOUP, and LOVELAND Technologies
- The Detroit Creative Corridor Center has space for "ventures in residence"
Detroit Hacker Spaces:
Detroit Internet & App Developers:
- 13 Protons
- The Work Department
- LOVELAND custom crowdfunding and mapping experiences
- Detroit Labs
- Atomic Object
Detroit Internet Investors:
Detroit Internet Services:
Detroit Internet Conferences:
- The Allied Media Conference
- Future Midwest
- Detroit Maker Faire, in Dearborn
- TEDxDetroit, September 28 2011
Detroit Internet Schools:
Detroit Internet Blogs, Publications, & Newsletters:
- The Startup Digest, newsletter on startups around Detroit and Ann Arbor