Hired as the first superintendent Education Achievement System on Friday, August 27, 2011 with a four-year contract. His starting salary is $225,000 with a $175,000 signing bonus. His base salary increases to $325,000 in his second year. About a dozen large districts were looking for superintendents when he was hired according to the Council of the Great City Schools, a Washington, DC-based organization.
He spent two years as superintendent of the Kansas City schools. He quit the district in the second week of school, and had told the board there he was not a candidate for any other jobs. Previously, he was superintendent of schools in Pueblo, Colorado, from 2006-09.
- Covington leaves a firestorm brewing in Kansas City. Free Press. 26 August 2011.
- Trust John Covington? We don't in KC. Kansas City Star. 26 August 2011.
- John Covington's sneaky betrayal. Kansas City Star. 26 August 2011,
- Covington to Run Troubled Michigan Schools. Detroit News. 27 August 2011.
- New chancellor could make $1.5M overseeing district for Michigan's troubled schools. Free Press. 30 August 2011.