Detroit Public Schools is searching for national charter operators to run 45 schools. 18 of those schools will be closed in Summer 2011 if an operator cannot be found. 27 of those schools will remain open under a turnaround plan if an operator cannot be found. Eight schools will be closed outright. Several other schools will be combined or placed in new buildings. Net building reductions are between 32 and 59.
The following savings were predicted by DPS in April 2011:
- No costs will be incurred for closing and securing schools, an estimated savings of $22 million
- An estimated $21.85 million in revenue will be generated from leases to charter schools
- $7 million in non-general funds can be re-directed to other schools
In June 2011, new EFM Roy Roberts slowed the program to convert schools into charters. Nineteen operators applied, but some major national organizations did not. Roberts selected only three companies and five elementary schools:
- New Paradigm for Education will run Glazer and Loving elementary schools.
- Global Education Excellence will run Edmonson and White elementary schools.
- Education Management and Networks will run Hamilton Elementary School.
The schools were chosen because they had average passing math and reading scores near 44.5%.
Original building replacement, closure and charter options
Construction Bond-Related Building Replacements
|Month / Year||Closing Buildings||Replacements||Building Closures||Net Closure|
|Jan. 2011||Public Safety Hqtr.||Public Safety Hqtr.||1||0|
|Feb. 2011||DTC East & DTC West||Drew (renovation)||2||1|
|Sept. 2011||Gompers & Vetal||Brightmoor (New)||2||1|
|Sept. 2011||Neinas & Webster||Earhart (New)||2||1|
|Sept. 2011||King HS||King HS (New)||1||0|
|Jan. 2012||Barton & Parker||Mackenzie PK-8 (New)||2||1|
|Jan. 2012||Logan & O.W. Holmes||Munger PK-8 (New)||2||1|
|Sept. 2012||Mumford||Mumford (New)||1||0|
|Sept. 2012||Crockett HS & Finney HS||Crockett-Finney (New)||2||1|
Building Closures – Summer 2011
- Day School for Deaf
- Field, Moses
- Ludington (Relocate entire program intact to Hughes building)
Building Closures – Summer 2012
- Osborn HS
Closures or Charters – Summer 2011
Proposals will be requested to operate these schools as Charters. If an acceptable proposal is not submitted for a school, then it will be closed during the Summer of 2011.
- Barsamian Prep
- Beard ELC
- Breithaupt CTC
- Detroit City HS
- Ferguson Academy
- Van Zile
Turnaround Charter Options** – Fall 2011 or Later Year
These buildings will remain open under a Turnaround Plan, either under Charter or DPS operation. Turnaround Plans will be requested from private and community groups via a Request for Proposals to operate charters. In the event an acceptable charter plan is not submitted, DPS will implement a Turnaround Plan.
- Holmes, A.L.
- Marshall, T.
- Palmer Park Prep
- Robeson/Malcolm X
- Twain, Mark
- DPS presents Renaissance Plan 2012 to radically restructure academically-failing schools, significantly reduce operating costs under model to seek charter proposals for 41 schools. Detroit Public Schools.
- DPS slows plan to change schools to charters. Detroit Free Press. 9 June 2011.