Woodward Avenue is one of Detroit's five main arterial roads. It divides the East Side from the West Side and is considered the city's "main street."
In downtown Detroit, businessman Dan Gilbert owns many of the buildings facing Woodward.
In 1933, Woodward was widened by 54 feet to its present 120 feet. St. John's Episcopal Church had to be moved 60 feet.
In June 2011, a $15,000 Urban Land Institute Community Action Grant was awarded to study transit-oriented development possibilities in south Oakland County as part of the Transform Woodward: Woodward Avenue Linear City project.